1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carbs off 6 times

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Nighthawk, May 12, 2009.

1. whaler

whaler New Member

That would be fine with me, but I am not sure where it would be put...maybe there is already a carburetor/tuning thread the list could be added to?

Maybe one of the moderators would like to copy and paste the data to the appropriate thread/sticky?

2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Member

Whaler,
    Compression check completed.
    #1 135
    #2 130
    #3 140
    #4 132

I adjusted the mixture screws out to 3 and then into 2 3/4 turns then took it down the road and back Idle seems to not be hanging as much,So I dont know what may have helped me out with the hanging throttle, messing with idle screw a little at a time or the mixture screws. I'm not counting it as completed yet. will try it again later after the engine cools off. I do need to check valves, it's been about 15 years and 10k.

Oh by the way I found some oul seeping out front left hand corner of engine looks like head gasket. Yuck, might not be a job for me.

3. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Gaskets are easy dude. If you're gonna check the valves you might as well put on a new gasket. Gotta pop that open to look at the valves anyway. Sounds like a good excuse to do it to me!
    I've thought about taking my bike to a shop a hundred times and "let someone else do it"
    I'm much happier and way prouder (and got more $$ in the pocket) by doing it myself.
    Its not as hard as you think sometimes :D
    Oh, and NightHawk?
    You have to call me Dragon
    :D
    -SLKid

4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Member

SLKID,

Have no problem calling you dragon as long as I don't have to call you dragon slayer like that guy on the TV show Survivor.

5. iandmac

iandmac Member

This question about springs made me think of something I found on my 750 Hitachis. On carb No.2 the butterfly spring was slipping out from under the tang on the fitting at the end of the shaft. It had worn a little flat spot there where it had been getting stuck now and again, holding the idle up. This caused a fair amount of friction on No.2 butterfly operation which you can only feel when the carbs are split and each can be twiddled individually. It had only happened on No.2, the rest were fine.

Next time you have them off check the springs against the photos below, particularly on No.2 where it seems the tang on the fitting isn't quite long enough to do the job. Anyone else ever seen this?

Attached Files:

6. iandmac

iandmac Member

Any takers on the spring hangup issue? I'm curious to know if this is a common problem ...

7. altlandf

altlandf Member

All the stuff that Nighthawk put into the carbs and he still has problems!! I just want to know how these bikes passed the EPA tests before production. YICS is Yikes PERIOD!!! These bikes defy all logic. You can have everything you need for an engine to run and this bike won't. I think it's a lean fuel mixture because of YICS. I had a 1983 Honda Prelude. Always idled at 3000 rpm. No matter what I did. It wouldn't idle like it should. I wonder how they could get away with emissions claims. A really rich mixture igniting an lean mixture doesn't work. I has been proven.

8. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Shouldn't you be on a Easter egg hunt or something altland.

9. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

If you didn't do a valve check before you did the carbs then you are waisting all of our time.....
    This needs to be done first. Then sync , then color tune.
    Do it right the first time and there wouldn't be a second!
    Altlandf - if you don't like these bikes then you shouldn't own one.
    ANY 30 plus year old bike would need work!
    If things are done correctly then you will have a bike that out runs everything else out there. I would put my little 550 up against any test you had for a bike!

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

11. altlandf

altlandf Member

This poor guy had these carbs off 6 times. Just how much did he pay for all the parts and it STILL won't run right? This is bullshit plain and simple. If you spend $1000 for all the parts in the carb and it still doesn't run right you should be allowed to go after the crooks at Yamaha and hitachi. People have to know about these pieces of junk. They need to be warned. How many really old motorcycles have I seen on this show they do very little work on them and they fire up. I can't believe someone actually said Chevy engines were junk and these worthless Yamaha engines were high performance. Like hell they are JUNK JUNK JUNK.

12. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Ouch bro

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Our more worldly members wil understand this reply. altlandf will not, even after having it explaned to him slowly.

U R A
    [​IMG]

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Think of these carb systems as a mechanical aptitude IQ test....those that can, do, and those that can't pass the test, well.................

15. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

altlandf... LMFAO

You remind me of the old dudes on the muppet show. Complete a-holes, but it isn't a show without them.

Now, how much is HD paying you?

16. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

BTW k-moe, very nice picture, good composition and framing. Is that your petcock or is he a broiler?

17. z32800

z32800 Member

K-moe; over here in NZ we call it a Rooster, but it can also be known as a c#ck; both are fitting. :p

18. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Indeed a very fine specimen....of approximately the same IQ as our friend too!

19. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Why offend the smart bird?

20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

All this over a 3+-year-old forum post?!!?

Dave