1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

carbs still leaking

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by lopezfr2, Oct 22, 2009.

1. wingnut325

wingnut325 Member

You can do the cluck test from the top. Remove the 4 screws from the "Hat" and the spring and have at it. Note the needles will move off center sometimes so it nice to have access to at least one side of the carb trouts.

2. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

broke dirty maxim you were right. i connected the bike to the gas tank and set it to pri, and the transfer tube between the 1st and 2nd carb leaks like a mother. i pulled the tube out and the PO decided rather than replacing the old shot o-rings he would just wrap the whole thing in teflon tape and shove it back in. off to pep boys to get some new orings

3. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

so i fixed the leak but when i put the bike back together i start it with full choke and it revs really high so i dial the choke back in and it just dies. what should i be looking for? i did the clunk test already and everything is in order

4. jvitzu

jvitzu Member

did you fix the float bowl leak yet? Maybe you put the gasket on upside down and it's blocking the enrichment circuit.

5. alexdc03

alexdc03 Member

When mine leaked from between the carb on the gas lines my o-rings were still good but the aluminum oxidizing inside the pipe never made for a tight seal. I used wd-40 & 2000 grit paper rolled and lightly sanded the inside. Cleaned it off and she's been leak free for months now.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

it sounds like one or all of the butterflies are being held open too far.

Do you have the throttle quadrant caught under the fins on the back of the head holding it open?

Do you have the big idle knob backed off sufficiently?

Did you bench sync the rack after you put it back together?

Did you reassemble it using a surface plate or straightedge so the throttle shaft(s) aren't binding?

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i never did 550 carbs but it seems like the floats are set too high and the intake side should be farthest from the gas because of the tilt

8. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

when i reassembled the rack i didnt really take much care in making sure everything was level, but they looked fine when i was done. i looked in the haynes manual, it just said to press down on the rack while tightening them down. this is frustrating i just want to ride!

9. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

How high is really high? My 650 maxim will rev up to 4k or so at full choke then I back it off to about 2k untill it warms up. It will continue to rev higher and higher as it warms up so you have to keep steping back the choke.

10. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

i got it to run for a while but i cant get it to idle. if i take the choke off completely it will slowly die. i tried playing with the idle knob but i dont think it was making much difference

11. Broke_Dirty_Maxim

Broke_Dirty_Maxim Member

My bike is pretty much the same way. You have to warm it up by riding it before the idle will stabilize and keep from falling off and die. I don't remember it being that way when I first got it, but I have pretty much rebuilt, and re-tuned, and properly set up my carbs and it will still do it.

I am thinking it has more to do with the electrical system than the carbs. Since the bike makes very little charging electricity at idle, the battery charges too slowly and goes down and therefore the power to make spark slowly diminishes, and it eventually dies. I thought I had it fixed before, but it has started doing it again.

12. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

that idle screw has really fine threads on it try watching the throttle linkage at the carb to see when it starts moving some one may have backed it out a aways.

13. leadboots

leadboots Member

i had the same problems with brand new bowl gaskets leaking. so I just made my own and have never had another problem.