I spent weeks reading and watching every piece I could on rebuilding carbs and educating myself as much as possible before digging in or taking things apart. The bike ('82 XJ 650) ran fine before but had issues at idle, I assumed the pilot jet was probably in need of cleaning among other things. I stripped every piece apart and meticulously took notes and photos as I went to ensure proper reassembly. With the bodies totally stripped I soda blasted them, soaked/sprayed with cleaner and finished up with an ultrasonic cleaning for each carb and its associated smaller pieces. Replaced items below. New fuel supply 0-rings New throttle shaft seals New float valve seat New bowl gasket New mixture screw o-ring, washer and spring New choke plunger rubber cap New bowl drain screw I recorded previous settings for mixture screws and each was a bit all over the place, I did notice the tamper proof caps were already removed so someone had made adjustments to these previously. I reassembled with all set to 2.75 turns out to get right in the middle of the recommended 2.5-3 turns. I did check the float settings and did the tube method to check float height after assembling. I got them all to be close to 2mm below gasket surface as recommended (at least they looked to be in that ballpark from what I could tell). I did a bench sync and the valves all look pretty spot on. Everything looks absolutely stunning with the new shine and I'm so eager to feel the difference with a properly cleaned and tuned carb setup. I installed back in my XJ and used a funnel/tubing for a temporary gas tank while tuning. I purchased a colortune kit and carb sync gauges prior, knowing I would need them for this step. The bike starts up just fine, in fact better than it ever has previously... but it will not stay on unless the enrichment valves are open. The engine responds to throttle and rev's up but only with the choke on. I've tried holding a higher RPM with the throttle and backing off the enrichment valve simultaneously but it dies. I want to get it to idle without the choke on so I can get things synced up and tune the mixture but so far I haven't been able to get the idle operating right. This sounds like it's definitely fuel related but I know the main jets are clear, the emulsion tube is clear, the diaphragms all looked to be in good shape with cylinder 1 being just a little sticky with the needle. What else could be causing this and where should I start first before changing too many things, I'm figuring it has to be something relatively simple that I'm just overlooking at this point.