1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clicking noise

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 86maximusXJ700, Nov 30, 2010.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agree you should check with Len. I believe it will physically fit; but if the valves (or even camshafts) are the least bit different you WOULDN'T be able to re-use those parts.

The reason I'm pretty sure it will physically fit is that the part number for the head gasket is the same for the '86 700 and the 750; as are the cam chain sprockets and cam chain. I would be concerned about valve size, cam timing vs. ignition timing and combustion chamber profile.

Ask Len.

Parts fiche: http://www.yamahapartshouse.net/pages/p ... parts.aspx

2. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

After complete top end dissassembly found that both valves in that cylinder were slightly bent and the piston was damaged(top ring pinched). Don't know what other components may be damaged so finally found a good deal on a 750 motor. I am currently installing it. Still need to get the ignitor and pick up coils for the 750. I'm hoping I won't need to modify much to get the 750 going. This site has been very helpful.

3. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

I'm installing a 750 and am wondering if I can use the 700 pick up coils with this 750 motor.

4. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

Found out the pick up coil is the same. In fact, I found out the cylinder head, camshaft, valves, and pistons are the same in the 750 and 700.

5. nirrozero

nirrozero Member