1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clutch is very hard to pull

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jake750, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Just bought a 86' yx radian 600. The previous owner of the previous owner made a bunch of "performance mods." As far as I can tell, these mods consist of aftermarket ignition coils and wires, 1 size up carb main jets and I think possibly aftermarket cams of unknown origin. Something else I noticed was that the clutch is VERY hard to pull. This thing is heavy. I thought at first it was just the cables but the problem persisted even after a good lube session.

Are heavier clutch springs a common mod that people do (and if so, why?)? If not, what would cause a clutch to feel so heavy?

Thanks guys!

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, heavier springs are a popular modification of limited value, depending on application they are often unnecessary. It's possible that your previous owner swapped them out. It's also possible that an aftermarket clutch kit was installed that came with heavier springs.

You may end up having to take a peek, everything you'll need to know is covered here: https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/clutches-101-part-1-the-400-550-600s-with-pics.29541/

HOWEVER: I do not know if the Radian has the asymmetrical 'plain' plates as used in the earlier bikes; if not then you can ignore all the rigamarole about the orientation of the tabs as they may not be there. Otherwise everything in that article will apply.

For future reference, how many miles on this gem?

3. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Just over 11,000. I should warn you though, The bike was low on oil by about a third. The PO said he only had it for a few months and never did an oil change and there was a small leak in the valve cover gasket. I have yet to do a compression test as I am still working on the carbs. I'm hoping there is no internal damage from this.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is the lever aligned properly at the clutch housing? I don't know if it is the same as my 900f I will post a picture just so you can check.

16007934427581520249206452515340.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  5. bigfitz52

Sweet. 11K miles is hardly enough to do any real damage even if valves neglected. Franz raised a good point, we went off discussing springs and never got back. If the actuator lever (on top of the clutch housing) is positioned incorrectly it can be hard to pull. The base position indicator on the 550/600s is different than the shafties though. There is a a little rectangle cast into the case, behind where the little lever is. When you push the lever forward until it stops, it should stop toward the rear of that little cast-in rectangle. If the actuator lever stops before it gets to the little rectangle, it will be hard to pull the clutch in. There is a photo of this in my clutch write-up, but I think the Photobucket watermark may be hindering viewing.

Jake750 likes this.
  6. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Actuator lever seems to be in the proper position. I lubed the clutch cable and fiddled with both tensioner on the handlebar and the lower one. Problem still persists, clutch is very hard to pull and doesn't really feel "smooth". Planning on doing a clutch rebuild when rebuild kit I ordered arrives. I am hoping that the previous owner installed heavier aftermarket clutch springs.

Any ideas on why a clutch would be so hard to pull and what I should be looking for if the springs are in fact stock?

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

heavy springs so the clutch does not slip under load with the mods. you should be able to tell by measuring the length.
    I know there is a clutch supplier who mods the setup so you have no issues with motor mods or synthetic oils.

if you disconnect the clutch cable does it pull freely? cable slide back and forth with no effort?
    maybe the cable is routed incorrectly or stuck inside cable sheath.
    does lever move freely with cable disconnected maybe wrong bolt.

8. Jake750

Jake750 Member

Cable was removed, cleaned, and lubed. Slides with ease. I routed the cable per the clymer manuals instructions. leaver also moves freely. I'm hoping its just the clutch springs.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when you remove the clutch cover make sure the lever and rod in cover are moving freely.
    Then its on to the guts of the clutch

spring free length 41.8 mm

Jake750 likes this.
  10. bigfitz52

in other words, you're gonna need to look in there. Look in my "how-to" there are pics and an explanation of what to look for in terms of wear on the clutch hub and basket. If abused, the clutch hub could be worn enough to cause issues; or the little wafer bearing under the "Push" (it actually pulls) rod is toast.