1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

COLORADO!!

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by Brhille, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Steve R

Steve R Member

Nice

2. Steve R

Steve R Member

Carbs are working properly now. Nice days i take her out.

3. Steve R

Steve R Member

On the road yet?

4. Steve R

Steve R Member

Any one checking this site lately??

5. apotheon

apotheon New Member

I'm in the Front Range area -- more specifically Loveland and Fort Collins. I recently acquired a 1981 XJ650. Right now, I'm just trying to make sure everything's as safe as I can, so I'm working on getting turn signals to work, I think I'll need to get a new handlebar in part so I can have mirrors that allow me to see past my shoulders without getting RSI in my wrists from a bad handlebar angle, and I want to give the brakes a serious check.

Eventually, I'd like to change a lot about the bike. I'm not exactly a purist; I like my bikes how I like them, and that typically requires changing things.

6. ShotCaller

ShotCaller New Member

Lakewood CO here, welcome! See the Drum Brake thread by bigfitz52 in XJ Technical Chat. Then new brake lines if yours are original. Check those calipers ...bet the calipers have never been serviced. I just pulled apart the calipers on my 750 Maxim and that stuff is naaasty.

7. apotheon

apotheon New Member

Yeah, I saw the drum brake stuff in the xjbikes forum. I hastened to get the brakes freshened up for safety's sake.

I decided against getting asbestos brake dust all over my garage, and had a local bike shop (CJM Enterprises, great service from them so far) take care of all the brakes for me: new pads, new shoes, general cleanup work on moving parts.

I've already swapped out the fuel tank, but discovered a problem with the petcock that I need to fix. I got a custom seat made, to fit with the "new" tank (which I got from xjbikes member Joe Elliff) after reconditioning and a new paint job. I still have a bunch of other work I plan to do in the near future as well, starting with hand controls, carbs, and intake manifold boots. I hope to have this thing reliable enough to make a 1700 mile (each way) road trip at the end of next summer. I might be crazy, though.

8. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Do you have photos showing the custom seat?

9. apotheon

apotheon New Member

There's a picture of the bike with its swapped tank and custom seat (and with the side covers off, though that was temporary) under the "info" tab of my profile.

10. Steve R

Steve R Member

Looking Good! Been awhile since on the XJ site.

11. apotheon

apotheon New Member

As things currently stand, my XJ650 is in a state of disassembly. I'm waiting on some parts from XJ4Ever to finish the current work on the bike, after which I expect it to be safer to ride, both for me and for the engine.

I still don't know of any active XJs in my area (mostly the Loveland and Fort Collins area), unfortunately. I'm keeping my eyes open for any sign of others.

12. Steve R

Steve R Member

Attached Files:

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  13. Chrisco19

Chrisco19 New Member

Did u ever get help? I need help and don’t know how to tune carbs

14. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

15. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

Littleton! Just finished a 550 seca cafe build! Would like to ride with some others

16. Micah Little

Micah Little New Member

I'm in Englewood! Got an '82 XJ750 last summer. Hadn't been ridden in probably 20-30 years so its been an uphill battle. Probably bit off more than I could chew but I'm hoping I'm close. I think I got some gas in my oil the other day so need to change that and figure out why my tach isn't reading anything, and then get it to idle correctly. Hopefully that is all that's keeping me from riding! Had my carbs cleaned by Pro Motorcycle Carb Service in Longmont, any of y'all used Keith? He had great reviews but the bike isn't running like I think it should so I'm worried he missed something (like why am I getting gas in my oil?).

17. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    in order for you to get gas in the oil there has to be 2 concurrent malfunctions. The vacuum petcock must not be shutting off ( or it is left in the "prime" position) and at least 1 of the float valves in the carburetors must not be shutting off the gas flow. Or the float levels are way too high. Cleaning the carbs is not quite the same as rebuilding them. If the bike has not been used in that period of time they most likely need some new bits and parts and fettling. No offense to your guy. These carbs are pretty user friendly with some study. But you do have put some study and effort into them. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  18. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I'll give @k-moe credit for this one, "40 year old carbs don't need cleaning, they need rebuilding".

k-moe likes this.
  19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'll add, even if they have been sitting on a shelf in their original packaging all that time.

Noahsxj likes this.
  20. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

I did just move to Republic Missouri, no more Colorado :(