1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dean's XJ650 Cafe Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ddibling, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Cooter

Cooter Member

I have a couple questions on this.

What parts did you use from the Virago, after all was said and done? And did you have to modify anything? I really like the idea of using spoked wheels on my Seca, and I found a rolling '86 700 Virago for cheap, so I would love to do this swap, even if I need to lace a different rim onto the rear hub.

Do you have any pics of the whole bike with both wheels on it? And did the front wheel fit fine, including the rotors?

Any more info on this swap would be greatly appreciated.

2. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

^^WHAT HE SAID!!^^

ANd I did mine's LOL. Works like Bob's Your Uncle, too..

3. ddibling

ddibling Member

Had to get the new rim, brake shoe plate (the outer, chromed plate on the right hand side looking forward), the brake shoes, springs, actuator post, and the axle. Nothing had to be modified but I had to remove the rear gear housing from the drive shaft, mount the wheel, then reinstall the gear housing.

Haven't done the front wheel yet. It's built for dual discs and I'm afraid to see what other pieces I need to get that to work right!! It's coming up soon, though, on the list of things to do.

4. ddibling

ddibling Member

Spoke to the Tank Shop yesterday. He told me he was working on the tank "as we speak" and that he would call me in a couple of days when it's done. We're at an easy year and a half, though, so no breathe-holding on my account....

Cut a piece of sheet metal to make the battery shelf. I don't know how to weld so I used pop rivets to attach it to the frame.

[​IMG]

Also got the headlight buttoned back up. I installed a headlight modulator, which only added to the incredible amount of crap behind the headlight! I finally did get it all smashed back in there and screwed down. Almost looks like a motorcycle again!

[​IMG]

My first stab at putting the upholstery on the seat failed miserably so I'm redoing that. Hopefully this time will go better....

5. schooter

schooter Active Member

cool, glad to see you're still around and kicking, I remember, this was teh first thread I viewed when I came to this site.... Damn you!

just messin... does the bike run?

6. ddibling

ddibling Member

Er...the battery hasn't been on the bike since I started this. Plus, I've got the carbs off and in pieces! I'm doing a rebuild and a jet job on them. I bought some cool looking pod filters. I know, I know...many will say that the pods are a bigger pain than they are worth, but I'm going for the "look" and for that, in my opinion, you've got to have the pods. I mean, if I wanted the fastest thing out there, I'd be looking at a Hayabusa or a Ducati or something!

7. skillet

skillet Active Member

Joined after you had taken a "break". Just wanted to congratulate you on patience (tank), staying with it and GOOD work :wink: ...

skillet

8. xjstewart81

xjstewart81 Member

awesome. this is going in my inspiration file. you dont see a lot of guys with the early xj's (80, 81) trying to cafe because the tear-drop shaped tank just doesnt look cafe. I'm super interested to see it finished.

power to ya

9. xjstewart81

xjstewart81 Member

where are you at dean? we want to see your progress!

10. ddibling

ddibling Member

Stewart,

I'm really stalled out and bummed, too. The guy who is supposedly working on my tank keeps putting me off. It's been almost two years now and I still don't have the tank. And I had to cut up the original to send to him as a pattern! So I have no tank at all. Fortunately, I haven't paid him anything but, dammit! I really wanted that tank! I can't figure out if he's just not working on it or has so much work he can't finish it. Doesn't make any sense in this economy...I'm practically begging to pay him and he won't do it. I guess I've got to look for something else. I don't want a fiberglass tank, though, so I don't know what I'm going to do now.....

11. xjstewart81

xjstewart81 Member

SUCKS ABOUT YOUR TANK! what a pain this guy must be!

i am really interested in your exhaust in the pics here...was that chrome originally and how did you paint it if so? also, where is it from? it's cool! i really want get the cafe look out of my bike too but while xj's are awesome bikes, they don't have really great lines for that style. too many curves and no straight lines. :( know anyone selling a KZ anything? lol

i cant wait to see the tank on with the rear cowl on there!

gl

12. ddibling

ddibling Member

Yeah, it was originally chrome. They were kinda cheap...got them from Dennis Kirk and they rusted very quickly. I used to have it parked outside. So I took them to a guy in town who does powder coating. I was very pleased with the way they came out.

You're right about the curves making things interesting when trying to do a cafe, but that's what you're looking at!

13. xjstewart81

xjstewart81 Member

yeah i guess...if they engine wasn't so awesome i'd have traded up long ago but they're built like tanks and quick to boot. be sure to keep us all up to date!

14. KennyNapalm

KennyNapalm Member

excited to watch this one hopefully its happenin soon for ya

15. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Cool bars big guy, are those clubman bars? think'in about a set of those myself

16. xulf13

xulf13 Member

If you get a set of clubmans don't get those kind, the pinch on them tends to make them weak and they WILL eventually break. It happened to me.
    [​IMG]

Get these kind instead. Nice welds, no pinched tubing = strong/tough.

[​IMG]

Dean, don't get discouraged, just get another tank and modd it to fit your bike. Look, you're wasting time, I know those type of guys. I hate to say it but I saw it coming. Get your bike together, don't let the tank stall you and keep you from doing the rest. If you're interested I have a spare Seca tank you can use, just pay the shipping. I know it will fit your bike.

Then, go to ebay and look for cafe tanks. Every once in a while you will see a daytona alloy tank for sell for around $450 or so. all you have to do is mark where you want the tabs placed for the rubber mounts and take it to a local welder (you may have to take the bike too) can't cost you more than $80 for the job and you're good to go.
    You can also check for alloy tanks like this BSA tank.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BSA-Vict ... 4aa01f8736

Or check this other link. It's quite a bit of money, but you were going to spend about the same with the other guy and you waited too long man.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

Let me know if you want my spare tank.

17. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Yeah those bars look better yet, plus the mirrors are a cool on the ends of the bars like that, how'd you obtain those?

18. ddibling

ddibling Member

Get these kind instead. Nice welds, no pinched tubing = strong/tough.

What brand is that? Where did you get them? I got the other kind, but I'd rather replace them if they're just going to break on me.

Dean

19. mechanicalmadness

mechanicalmadness Member

20. ddibling

ddibling Member

Ok, here's an update. Got the carbs back on. I actually broke down and just bought a new rack (so if anyone's interested in the original rack, let me know). I put in a jet kit for the pods and then put them back on the bike. I know there are those who are very against the pods but I think they look awesome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]