1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Difference in xj750 years

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by yamajeff, Jun 1, 2017.

1. yamajeff

yamajeff New Member

I currently have an 82 xj750 in need of some parts - engine and body. I found an 88 xj750 parts bike. I am wondering about the interchangeability of parts between the years.
    Will the motor/trans from the 88 bolt into the 82 frame?
    Will the headlight assembly from the 88 mount to the 82 frame?
    Thanks!
    Jeff

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

first which xj 750 do you have?

do you mean a virago 750?

81 and 82 750 maxims have the same parts ,the 83 maxim has no atarti and a round headlight. so different wiring harness different head light setup different front forks.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

88 xj750? No such beast.

81-82 Seca 750 are identical. '83 introduced a boss on the steering stem for a rotary steering damper. 84 is essentially an XJ900 with a 750 engine, so is quite different but does have parts that are common with the earlier 750 Seca.

Both the Seca and Maxim have many common parts, including the engines being identical aside from mounting (secas are solid mounts instead of rubber) and how they were painted.

What would help is to know which parts you need so we can help you look up compatbility on a parts fiche, and confirm that the fiche information is correct.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  4. yamajeff

yamajeff New Member

I have an 82 maxim xj750. I found a parts bike on Craigslist listed as an 88 maxim. It looks identical to mine. Do you know the years that the maxim xj750 were the same? 82-85?
    Second gear went out on mine so I would swap the whole motor.
    I want to take the fairing off mine and want the headlight assembly.

5. k-moe

If it has a square headlight then everything will swap. If it has a round headlight then the engine will swap, but you'll need the TCI and probably the entire wiring harness. There was a redesign of the Maxim, starting with the 1984 model year. The redesign included engine changes to meet the Anti-Dumping Tariff requirements (there was a huge importation tax on anything over 700cc). What's lited is probably an Xj700, unless it was a bike that has been brought into the U.S. from Canada under the 25 year rule (and even that isn't exactly the same bike as your 750).

Then there was the Maxim-x, which is even more different and the engine will not interchange without much fabrication on your part. If the parts bike is water cooled then get it, but to restore; not as a parts bike.

Your fairing can be removed and the headlight put into the stock headlight bucket, which is pretty easy to find on Ebay.

Describe what you mean by second gear going out. There are several repairs that can be done without removing the engine, depending on what the trouble is exactly.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Even so, the xj700 was only '85-'86.

I would think it more likely to be an xj600 or related.

Regardless, show us a pic and we'll tell you what it is. Heck, show us a pic and we can probably tell you more about it than the current owner can....

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  7. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

...or put the listing up and someone on here will probably tell you exactly what it is.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  8. yamajeff

yamajeff New Member

Turns out it is an 82, exactly like I have. So everything I want to swap, will.

When I shift into second it's a crapshoot. Sometimes it just jumps up to third, sometimes it rolls back into neutral and sometimes it just makes grinding, banging noises. Will sometimes stay in if at a low rpm but as soon as power is applied it will start missing like the gears came apart.

I think the parts bike I found will work for everything I want to do with it. My engine has 56k on it and the parts bike is just under 19k.

Anybody need any 82 maxim parts?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    k-moe likes this.
  9. k-moe

That sounds to me much more like a problem with the shifting mechanism than it does with the gear (the typical 2nd gear problem is popping out of gear under heavy load due to worn dogs, with no other symptoms).
    Most likely there is a broken spring. Drain the oil, remove the shifter and cover, then inspect. There is a big spring that centers the rearmost portion of the linkage (#6), a smaller spring (#2) that places tension on the shift-drum pawl (#1), and a large spring (#4) that places tension on the shift drum roller (#3). The #4 spring is the one that is likely broken, allowing the shift drum to skip positions and pop out of gear.

[​IMG]

Much less work to fix it than to do an engine swap, and even at 56k miles the engine has much more life in it (at least 200k miles more).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    LeClairerog likes this.
  10. yamajeff

yamajeff New Member

That would be great if I didn't have to do the swap. Will certainly check this out before I start a swap.
    Thanks so much.