1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Does your bike VIBRATE?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Maxim700, May 13, 2006.

1. Maxim700

Maxim700 Member

My original situation was the new bars with the yamaha weights. So the silicone is the next step.

2. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

Sounds like it may be the steering head bearings causing the vibrations in the handle bars. You might want to try upgrading to tapered steering bearings.

3. thedude

thedude Member

kenny just posted my first thought....my left mirror shakes, my right mirror doesnt :| so im gonna be checkin all my bolts in the next couple days... im also gonna be checkin to see if the mirror is just worn out, if it gets real bad it will be like having a bobble-head instead of a mirror, had that prob on my enduro...good luck!

4. 2fast

2fast New Member

Silicon in the bars will do exactly nothing. If you want to have some effect, use lead shot, it will do some damping. I have done both, and speak from experience. Of course, this assumes you will also due everything else to minimize the vibes first, like carb sync, valve adjust, etc. Bar end weights will also have some effect. Buy the heaviest you can get.

5. Maxim700

Maxim700 Member

Silicon is in the bars and there does not seem to be any difference. The bars vibrate at all RPMs but is far worse between 4800 and 6000 rpm. That is the range where the mirrors are useless. Would different bars make a difference?

6. jimw

jimw Member

Could it be the bushings for the front fork have worn? I have seen on this board a fair bit of talk about replacing them with bearings, so maybe they are a thing that wears out on these bikes.
    Jim

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

Could be as simple as an imbalance on one of the tires. I'd get them checked out as Jason pointed out. There is a harmonic on all tires, the taller the tire, the higher the RPM range where it occurs. My VW had a vibration at 60 MPH that was attributed to this phenomenon.

8. Maxim700

Maxim700 Member

I don't think it would be tire related because it happens at the same rve range regardless of gear. The buzziness is present at various speeds but at the same engine speed.

9. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Have you checked the joints on the driveline, could be the shake transfering up to the bars.
    just my 2 cents

10. jeff-ski

jeff-ski Member

I'd run with Kenny on this one.... I've replaced my motor mount rubbers in the front and rear with great results... mirrors are clear as a bell, and no buzz in the fingers. I got a harmonic thing in the exaust at a certain RPM. i still need to cure.

Jeff

11. firelt

firelt New Member

My XJ750 bike does have engine vibration at 4500 - 5000 rpms. This is due to worn motor mounts. I have yet to replace them, but it does cause a vibration in the handle bars and foot pegs as well as my left muffler to rattle and annoy me. I either ride below or above the rpms. I did purchase and install a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips and throttle boss which has made all the diffrence in the world on rides. They're prbobably the best investment I've made so far. I haven't added any weights or silicone to the stock bars.

12. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Member

13. Maxim700

Maxim700 Member

I have replaced my bars. The new bars are about 2 inches closer to me that the ones the PO put on. This does not eliminate the vibrations but it certainly has reduced their effect on me:)!!!

I have experimented with positionand found a low but rearward position to work best for me. I am a limited by front brake hose length and am looking for a replacement. I also had to reroute my throttle, clutch and choke cables.

14. Knick

Knick Member

Very good thread, but i am suprised more people dont look at the source of the vibration..

the only thing constant @ a said rpm is the drive train.. mainly engine..

wonder how many of the bad vibe storys relate to hard, worn, cheap or bad motor mounts ?

of course the ideas would still be good for road vibration and the vibes you just cant get rid of,

anywho.. my 2 cents :) seems like people treating the end symptom, not the whole thing.

15. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Member

I have been unable to find a reference to rubber motor mounts in the Yamaha parts list.
    Do they exist on the SECA?

Nachoman

16. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Member

HA!

I found them. They were not listed under the SECA but the Maxim fiche had them. Do you guys think they are the same? I am inclined to believe they are.

I guess I'll have to go check mine now. They probably need replacing.

Nachoman

BTW, the part #'s are as follows. According to the Yamaha site you need two of each.

36Y-15336-00-00
    4H7-15316-00-00
    3Y6-15326-00-00

17. Knick

Knick Member

not listed on the seca fische ?

i have to admit I "assume" there is a damper center on the mount, I havent unmounted mine...

18. JPXJ

JPXJ Member

Where could a normal person such as myself purchase these motor mount bushings? Do I have to give more money to the stealership or does someone know of a better aftermarket source?

19. samsr

samsr Member

Guess I am one of the lucky ones. My 82 xj750j rides smooth as a babys but. Even after replacing the front tire and not getting it balanced, I haven't foud a rpm or speed it vibrates at.

20. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Maxim700, I also have an 85 XJ700, I however DONT have that vibration problem.
    I'd suggest that you start by process of elimination figuring out what variable(s) cause the vibration.
    Is it only when the bike is moving, only at a certain rpm, at a certain speed, when it's warm/cold, etc.
    Then I'd start trying to figure what variable I can take away, like speed rpm, temp, etc, to leave the culprit or at least narrow it down.

Is the rpm that vibrates just at 5000 or between 5000 and some other rpm?
    Is there a certain speed that it vibrates but it is just coincidence that the rpm happens to be 5000 at that speed?

Let us know what you find out and we can possibly give you a little better tan a "best guess"

Mike