1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dreaded starter clutch replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

My yellow seca starter clutch was slipping quite badly in 2019 , I had bought a another engine from Joe Eliff all he knew it had 38,000 thousand , so swapped it in oh the joy it ran great . All was good till last weekend rode 350 miles stopped to fill up and it stated slipping, finally got it started , rode 80 miles from filling station stopped at Mickey D's ate lunch ...and it would not hit at all :mad: there was an incline was able to bump stop bike . Rode the last 60 miles with no STOPS . When bike is cold starts perfect, get it hot and it slips. Did usual changed oil again , even swapped starter ...no joy . So doing the deed , pulled the original engine out ,and started tearing in to engine . There are many threads on this subject....but it never hurts to have another . My work bench space is limited and would not take the weight , so a couple of weeks ago on my way home someone was throwing away a wooden pallet , drug it home ( my wife wanted it for the wood for a pinterest project) this is perfect and keeps engine from getting marred up .
    Day 1 drained oil, pulled clutch and left side cover .
    Day 2 removed alternator stator , hit first snag getting the rotor out , threaded in bolt and no joy . Went to my local dealer , I'm lucky local dealer has been in business since late 60's and he has helped me out . I had a bolt but he had a a stepped tool and off it came :D . Snag number 2 the rotor seal cover one of the torx screws would not budge , ended up drilling and an easy out . I got all the electric harness and components off engine . Got most of the upper the fasteners loose over the gear box . Almost ready to flip over to pull oil pan. Taking a break but here are some pictures of some tools that make it much easier and pictures of engine tear down.

Attached Files:

Franz and Toyobaru866 like this.
  2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You will have those cases split in no time with the progress you are making.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  3. Jetfixer

Day 3 got case split and starter clutch out !!! I had bought the replacement spring and roller, but I also bought the whole assembly. I elected to go with the whole assembly, the springs are slightly longer and are a little more firm and the oil holes are larger and chamfered on edge. Now the part I'm scared of...putting it back together.

Attached Files:

Franz likes this.
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Have you got a replacement guide for the starter alternator chain?

5. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Exellent work, lets see the clutch failure point.. Separate that starter clutch assembly. I'm curious if it was the springs, rollers, or roller surfaces?

6. Jetfixer

No apparent failure this is the orginal engine worked fine till engine got hot and would slip . The rollers looked fine but the springs maybe weak . Checked them against the new springs and new are slightly longer .

Simmy likes this.
  7. Jetfixer

The guide appears good the original engine is extremely clean inside .

8. Mechanic1978

Yep sounds like springs collapsed from heat/age and use...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Jetfixer likes this.
  9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I'm with @Mechanic1978 here - allways nice to know what actually failed (or as here was occasionally failing).
    So it looks like the springs were weakened then?

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. Mechanic1978

If possible I wouldn't mind seeing the inner ring roller surfaces... up to you of course. Lol

11. Jetfixer

I was worried that there might be cracks in face plate but it looked okay . The caltric clutch actually looked better than old assembly. The springs are longer and the oil holes are larger .

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

So did mine but I changed it anyway in view of the minimum cost for the guide and the amount of work involved should it fail later.

k-moe likes this.
  13. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Isn't this quite due to fail because of age and not milage? If so I would also definitely change while you're in there!

14. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Impressive work btw...

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes they fail due to age. Then gear selection problems happen when the guide breaks up.

k-moe and Toyobaru866 like this.
  16. Mechanic1978

My xj550 that I maintain, only has 11k miles on it, but also is still using all original parts. Were 3rd owners of it, original owner bought it new and only put gas in it. I have over years replaced clutch packs, and a few bulbs. Everything else is original. so I believe your correct, mileage not so big of a role in it, but more the use and abuse.. Any starting issues I never keep cranking on it, I look for the no start issue, with minimal times testing the starting.

Toyobaru866 likes this.
  17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Looking at the cost in parts and time to rebuild the engine (especially if the top of the engine is stripped down too) then it is prudent to replace the guide. That's what I did anyway, each owner must decide for themselves.

Jetfixer and Mechanic1978 like this.
  18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Change that alternator chain guide. You'll regret it later if you don't do it now.

Jetfixer, Franz and Mechanic1978 like this.
  19. Jetfixer

Calling it an evening got starter clutch back in place , I forgot to get Yamabond the other day would rather use this than RTV on case halfs . I still need to clean up halfs . Took some time to inspect the rollers in the starter clutch one has a gouge or flat spot not sure if photo will show. I also have a photo of the larger oil holes on the new starter clutch vs the old one . I hope I'm showing decent pictures that shown the internals . I inspected the crank bearings these and crank are in great shape as I recall engine had 12 thousand on it.

Attached Files:

20. Jetfixer

Probably should but going to chance it and leave it as is , these appear to be in good shape and still pliable.