1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

drive shaft adaptors?(for a wider rear tire on my maxim x)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by robista361, May 18, 2006.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

There's plenty of room to alter the Swing arm to accommodate a wider tire.

You'll have to make two cuts removing the Curved-in portion of the swing arm and weld-in some flat aluminum stock to restore the rigidity of the swing; again.

2. Ease

Ease Member

Good to know, Rick!

I've yet to dissasemble so I've only wondered if there was enough room in there to push er in a bit... Not that I want/need a larger rear tire (maybe when the new rubber wears down a l'il more). :D

How wide a tire do you suppose would safely fit on the rim?

3. Ease

Ease Member

Oh, clearly it's a show bike (though it was awefully dirty and it wasn't at a show... just a sunday at the ace cafe...). The post was just for fun.

Sounds like your idea would work, though.

There was another v-max there without the offset - and with a bigger tire:
    [​IMG]

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

V-Max = Apples
    XJ_Bike = Oranges

Two different animals. Styling all-together different. The ass-end of that V-Max has a distinctly altered look to it; too.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that is a Custom Fabbed-up swing arm on that thing.

5. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Re: drive shaft adaptors?(for a wider rear tire on my maxim

Uh-huh... Yeah... Right...

Now back to my question! How 'bout a Virago swingarm on a MaximX?

Anyone?

6. Ease

Ease Member

The purple bike had a custom swingarm, green one had modified stock (as far as I could tell)... Post's weren't meant to take measurements of, mostly just to show a wider tire on a shaft drive bike.

MaximumX, I have no idea if it would be a straight swap, but you can bet it wouldn't be. I wondered myself if you could swap out for a v-max swingarm (they also have a stock 150, but can squeeze in up to a 180 with a wheel swap).

I've also seen at least one XJ with the shaft re-located to the outside of the swingarm to allow for more tire without having to space anything out on the engine side - but I believe it was a hard-tail.

7. venlis

venlis Member

2nd RESURRECTION!

hey i found this ancient topic with some intriguing info

is injuhneer still around??
    how exactly would one widen the rear rim??
    also i would like to discuss more about widening the rear rim together with the spacer swap?

wider rear tire bug has bitten me too and im desperately looking for ways to pull it off.
    would it be possible to put a suitable spacer where injuhneer suggested and then widen the rims left side accordingly, wouldnt that result in ability to mount a wider tire and still have the wheel centered?? wheel spirals being offset?

8. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I have a 150 on mine and it clears the swing arm fine. The problem is that the rim pulls the tire in and you really don't get any more width from the wider tire, it makes it taller. I'm running an 18" rear not the stock 16" for the Maxim, which I understand is wider than the Seca's 18. It rides and performs fine, but if you're looking for a wider looking tire, you're not going to get it without swapping to a wider rim, then you may get into swing arm clearance issues. Or maybe not.

9. venlis

venlis Member

thanks kevineleven.

a 150 tire would be a no go on my rim. or it would go on yes but the profile would be something else. i have a stock 120 and 130 is the widest i would use without modifying things.

now the big question was am i able to widen the rear rim and how?

10. tweav

tweav New Member

So has anyone done a chain swap ? I was thinking of doing it ,but not really for the fat tire , more to free up a bit of power and help the handling a little .It looked to me like the engine case on a 550 is much different and would not interchange in pics , I don't have a 550 here I can look at . I've only got a 650 maxx and a 750 seca "that I am mixing the parts between the two".

11. venlis

venlis Member

of what i have read i think the chain swap is doable within reason for the xs1100 only.

but with money and skills, anything is possible.

12. tweav

tweav New Member

the chain swap did not look worth the effort from any of pics I've seen . I will look at the 750 when I pull the motor this week . But I really think it would take a major case mod ,or total case swap. I still plan on looking in to it some more ,but I do not have much hope for it .