1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dropped my xj750x, now it won't start

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tedre191, Apr 17, 2017.

1. tedre191

tedre191 New Member

Hi guys,

Just before storing the bike for the winter, I dropped it on its side and gaz poured from the gaz tank all over the place. Took me a good 5 min to get it back up and stored it for the winter. Since the battery was already out the bike and that it was a very gentle drop (no physical damages at all) I didn't tried to start it right away and just stored it assuming everything was fine.

But of course, 5 months later, I was wrong.

The starter works just fine, battery has good voltage. The motor cranks normally from the sound of it but nothing. I never had any issues starting it the past 2 years, even after a cold winter in the shed.

Here's what I did for the moment :

1- Checked the battery (OK, starter works fine, voltage is good, cranks normally)
    2- Checked the spark plugs and got a nice electric shock trying to see if there's was a spark.
    3- Checked the fuel tank / petcock, fuel is flowing normally (tried to start on prime also just to make sure)

The spark plugs seems to be working fine but I noticed that they had a light oil-like soak on them (the bits that goes into the engine). Not sure if this is normal or not. I assumed this was expected after trying to start it for a good hour.

So, keeping in mind that this 1985 beauty is my first bike and that I have very little mechanical knowledge, here are my possible diagnostics :

1- Dropping the bike moved some gunk that might have been present in the tank / carbs and clogged the carbs slowly in the past 5 months.

2- I flooded it real good.

Any advice on what I should try next ? After watching a couple of Youtube videos I plan to take the carbs appart and clean them but lets say that this is the last thing I want to do.

Thanks !

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Check to see if your oil smells like gas.
    Possible that one or more of your carb bowl floats got snuckered and is not sealing proper, and you filled the crank case.

hogfiddles likes this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

1. Flooded

2. Bowls emptied

3. Float jammed

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1^^^^

5. tedre191

tedre191 New Member

I'll give it a try and check the floats this weekend.
    Most likely just flooded I guess, hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running soon.

Thanks guys !

6. tedre191

tedre191 New Member

Alright, took longer than expected.
    Still unable to start the bike, there's no more excess fuel in the cylinders and the carbs seems to be working fine.

I have sparks on all 4 plugs but looks kinda weak to me and 2 of them had corrosion building up.
    I guess they were soaked all winter long so I order 4 new spark plug and I'll try again next week.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

try those new plugs, always a good thing. the spark on these always looks weak but it works.
    depending on the side it fell on, look at the air filter. it might be oil soaked

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Also check the following two things:

1. check to make sure your side switch is all the way out, and not stuck partway

2. Double check your kill switch, to make sure you didn't accidentally bump it to off

Also, while you're checking things… Check to make sure you didn't run out of gas!

9. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Did you store it with fuel stabilizer?
    Try some new gas

10. tedre191

tedre191 New Member

Yes it was store with fuel stabilizer with a full tank.
    I'll dump the old fuel and try with new fuel.

I checked the side switch and the kill switch last week, everything looked fine.
    I also checked the main and ignition fuses.

I got a copy of the service manual and I'll check the rest of the ignition system if the new spark plugs don't do the trick.

Thanks again !

11. tedre191

tedre191 New Member

New spark plugs and 2 shots of "quick start" in the air box did the trick! Thanks guys for your help !