1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dunlap, Kendo, Shinko

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by tabaka45, Feb 5, 2020.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I need to replace my Dunlap 404's and am wondering what people think of the Kendo K673, and Shinko 712 tires. I'm not aggressive at all and rarely over 70 mph so I don't need a high performance tire. All three of these tires have good ratings.

2. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

If you're happy with the Dunlop 404, buy them again! Opinions on tires are personal and varied. You looked at the ratings and that should show tires with service difficulty or flaws. Beyond that, I recommend rubber tires that are round and black. I won't even tell you my preference because I don't have an XJ700N.
    :)

cgutz likes this.
  3. May_J_Aaron

May_J_Aaron Josh May

On my Chieftain I have Dunlop Elite 4's, amazing!
    For my XJ750 I went with Metzler 888, had really good reviews but I haven't had a chance to test them out yet. They weren't that pricey and when it comes to keeping the bike upright, it's better not to be cheap.

I've felt drastic differences in tires before on a previous bike, especially with wet roads and road paint.
    I go with the stickiest on the sides and good tread life in the middle.

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Ran Shinko on several bikes I've owned over the years had good life out of them . My Buell had Dunlop 404 got about 4500 miles probably still had some life left , but replaced them anyway .

5. vashtsdaytona

vashtsdaytona Active Member

Ive had shinko 712 and dunlop 404, for me dunlops lasted longer but not worth the extra price longer. Also you didn't mention but I prefer the shinko 230 over 712. The 712 might have a more attractive tread but I think the 230 is the better tire of the 2 I've never had kens

6. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I have been running the kenda k657? Challengers. They are a cheaper tire and I dont ride super aggressively but the ride quality was greatly improved when I switched on my hardtail. I plan to replace the tires on my midnight with the same.

7. tabaka45

Shinko 712's are on the way. I'll let you know how they go.

8. tabaka45

Mounted the Shinko's today. They look good and seemed almost perfectly balanced, somewhat surprising. I have changed a good many larger motorcycle tires, and I have to admit that these were a bear to get off, especially the front one. I suspect that is due to these being a little lower profile than the ones on my Hondas. Hope these last as long as the Dunlops, I'm getting too old for this kind of fight. o_O