1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical help pls for newbie

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ArmyWarVeteran1968, May 27, 2023.

1. ArmyWarVeteran1968

ArmyWarVeteran1968 New Member

Evening gents

I've chopped my 2003 xjr1300 and had to extend my wiring loom 18inches due to the ape bars.
    My old harness was shabby to say the least so I purchased a second hand better condition.

Exactly the same as before took 30 mins to guide it through the frame and click in the connectors and got everything working but no spark.
    Brand new battery today fitted, multi meter showing power everywhere in the right places, turn over with a new plug fitted to coil 1 and nothing.

Tested all ignition coils with the multi meter inside the coils and there's nothing, surely all 4 spark plug leads would not fail at once.

Help pls

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Have you upgraded the stock fuse block to blade type fuses? If not look closely at the fuse block the contacts may not have continuity.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Make sure that your new bars a making a good ground it you have extended the left and right control wires. Not too sure how you mounted your new bars but some of them have dampening mounting areas that remove the metal on metal or a good ground for the bars. That or painted bars will also not allow a good ground for the start and ignition ckt. Not too sure what your setup is?

How did you extend the wires? Did you hand solder them? Use the new heat and solder connectors (the ones I really love). Did you test all the extended wires to make sure they have good connection.

If the only part of the wiring loom that you cut and extended was for the left and right bar controls I would start there. But you also added in another issue with a full untested wiring loom.

Let us know when you find the fix.