1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Exhaust stud removal/replacement?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by crewwolfy, Mar 5, 2010.

  1. crewwolfy

    crewwolfy Member

    Messages:
    262
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    I have no pictures at the moment, but this is pretty self-explanatory. My exhaust studs are pretty bungled up. Two have broken at the engine, and the other six are slightly bent, so as to fit through the aftermarket exhaust flanges. This is as it was when I purchased the bike.

    I'd like to rectify this. That means removing and replacing all the studs. Buying the replacement studs is easy enough, but how do I remove the existing bolts? The broken two I may just take to a machine shop, but what about the remaining six? I have standard tools, but no welding or other specialty equipment. Or, alternatively, what am I looking at as far as shop labor to remove everything?

    Thanks a lot.
     
  2. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    On the ones with some stud still showing, have a nut welded on, the heat of the welding also helps with the removal, a good welder can also weld a nut onto the ones broken off flush, keep away from easy outs, you could wind up in deep dodo....
     
  3. Robert

    Robert Active Member

    Messages:
    7,479
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Ventura CA
    I'll echo Wizard's sentiment. I'd just throw my machinist/welder buddy some cash and let him worry about how to get it out. Much easier and less worry than taking it on myself.
    In practical application, I've been successful at removing studs with the double nut method, but only so long as the stud was intact.
    Best of luck Wolfy.
     
  4. crewwolfy

    crewwolfy Member

    Messages:
    262
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Thanks guys. I think I'll throw money at this one and leave it to the professionals.
     
  5. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown

Share This Page