1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First bike - 1982 XJ650 Seca

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Fuggle, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Fuggle

Fuggle New Member

Just bought my first bike a couple weeks ago! Previous owner was halfway through what looks like some kind of DIY cafe job when they picked up another bike and left this one to sit in a garage for two years.

I didn't think it would be too hard to get running, but the storage has not been kind to it. The manifold gaskets were reduced to scraps of RTV so I just got some new ones one there, and managed to break the brittle old fuel filter in the process of getting the carbs back on. But, oh well. It looked like it needed replacing anyway.

Rectifier is missing, battery is shot, so along with those two things coming in the mail I now need to find some new tubing and a new filter. But overall its been a fun project so far, and the information contained on this site has been invaluable. Can't wait to get in running. Plan is to just get it rideable for what is left of this season, then next year I'll tear it down and rebuild it up as my own cafe.

2. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Hello. Congrats and welcome! After a few posts, (I think it's 5?) You'll be able to post pictures. Keep everything in one thread as you progress through your project.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I hope the frame wasn't cut. You have a very uncommon machine.

4. Fuggle

Fuggle New Member

Well, the back fender is chopped and the front one is just plain missing, but for the most part it looks like most of the modifications are more of the simple aesthetic stuff.

Honestly its a bit of an ugly mess at the moment but its my turd and I'm gonna polish it.

chacal and Simmy like this.
  5. Fuggle

Fuggle New Member

Update on the bike: put in the rectifier and new battery.

Bike will start up on full choke but isn't running properly. Judging by feeling the heat of the pipes, it started up on cylinders 1 and 3. #2 caught and started firing after maybe a minute, but after an hour of trying, 4 was still cold. Wouldn't idle without dying.

Thinking maybe a spark plug issue? I ordered a new set online. If it doesn't fix the issue I'm not sure where to look next.

6. Fuggle

Fuggle New Member

Thought I should add: there is gas making it through cylinder #4 causing backfire in the right pipe.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All four headers feed into the exhaust collector before splitting to the mufflers. You can't determine which cylinder is at fault for the backfire by looking at the mufflers, and backfires can occur from being too lean. Does the backfire occur at a steady engine speed, when accelerating, or when closing the throttle?

Check for spark at each plug by pulling one plug at a time and laying it so it gounds on the head. It is possible the plug is at fault, but it's more likely a carb issue (check spark first though since that's easier to correct). Being set too rich will keep a cylinder from firing just as easily as being too lean will, so even if the bike runs the carbs usually have to be gone through properly.

If you find that there is no spark on one of mre cylinders there are some simple steps to take before throwing parts at the problem. The plug caps unscrew from the wires, and quite often have some amount of corrosion at the ends. Just clip the wires back a little to remove the corrosion, and then screw the caps back on. The caps have resistors in them, so use a multimeter to check the resistance of each cap (should be 5 K ohms).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019