1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

first build (help please)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by slobzer, Jan 25, 2011.

1. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

It's just not attached at the back. My seat is not like yours. It's a tractor seat.

2. slobzer

slobzer New Member

ok then thanks for the advice iwingameover

3. slobzer

slobzer New Member

does anyone know where to find springs on the internet?

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

5. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

6. slobzer

slobzer New Member

thanks wizard

7. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Aussie's have so much of it lately too.

8. Alive

Alive Active Member

I've been saying for years that Aussies can't handle the drink :)

Apologies for the thread hijack... Couldn't resist :)

9. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Unless I missed it reading all the posts, what is your skill level?
    Ever done any welding and do you have any or access to some.
    Ever done any modifications on a bike before?
    How's your mechanical ability, prior experience or just "Hey, I think I'll build a custom motorcycle"?
    This forum is an invaluable source for info, but having a bit of experience helps a lot, so tell us a bit more about yourself.
    Speaking for myself, I find a lot of new people to the forum figure they can just get a bike, start hacking it up and then figure that magic answers will come from the forum.
    Good luck with the build.

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The worst thing to do is start a Project without knowing where you are going with it, ... AND ... the "Pitfalls" that will rapidly accumulate if you do one step that puts you in water over your head.

The FIRST thing you should do id get the Bike >> running << stock!
    Once you know you got a runner, ... you can spend money on stuff your dream about putting on it.

But, if you got troubles going-in. You are going to have nothing but what's left-over after you sell-off parts for not doing due diligence.

Get the Bike running: Stock.
    Prove it will go.
    AFTER you know the Bike has some good GO in it, ... start sculpting.

Don't make a CUT, ... UNLESS you can WELD.
    The XJ Frame is sturdy; but cutting a Section means reinforcing what you trim.

Beware as you proceed.
    The Factory Build added a ship-load of SOFT Fasteners that break-of before they turn.
    Disassemble things like you are from the Bomb Squad.

Yamaha people have to learn to live with a twist on an old axiom.

You've heard: "If it ain't broke; don't fix it."

Now, ... repeat this one three times!

"If it ain't broke; DON'T break it!!!"

11. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey Rick
    Any chance that a "go here first", something or other can be added to the registration process?
    It seems lately that a lot of guys are going out and getting bikes, hacking them up, tearing apart engines etc. then post here looking for easy fixes to the mess they've created.
    I know everyone has to start somewhere and sometimes the only way to get experience is to F*** something up. But it'd be easier AND a lot less expensive for some of these guys to know before hand not to to take the bike down to the bare frame or disassemble a motor completely, then ask us where everything goes to put it back together!
    I'm all for helping where I can but what I said above just rubs me the wrong way.
    Maybe I'm just getting old, actually I am getting old, no, I'm just old and say or type what comes to mind.
    So, c'mon guys! If you have little or no experience don't go tearing into a project and expect it to get fixed, hell, I've had bikes for years and there are still jobs that I pay people to do because I don't have either the tools, know how OR confidence to attempt.
    My 2 cents.

12. stevestrom

stevestrom Member

Well, I am one of those guys that just ripped into it. Would I rip into a running nice bike, probably not. The bike that I have was not much more than scrap metal which I paid nothing for. I have some basic mechanical knowledge (changing steering gears, ball joints, shocks, etc.), but am by no means a mechanic.

Nope, my bike is not finished (though it does run now) and yes I did f' up quite a bit on it. It is a work in progress and I enjoy working on it. I have learned so much from actually tearing it apart and putting it back together. I don't think I could ever have gained the knowledge that I have from reading alone.

Sure, you have to be smart going into it; take your time, have a plan, label the pieces, and take lots of pictures. Bottom line, if it's what you want to do, I think hands on is one of the best ways to learn (and that's coming from a teacher). Sure people on this site have bailed me out when I got in trouble and I only hope that I can do the same for the next 'fool' who tears their bike apart.

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Max-X is right, as is Rick. We get an awful lot of "I just tore this motor apart, can I just scrub it and put it back together" kind of posts. Part of the problem is folks who've been on this forum for a while, yet haven't actually RIDDEN their project or any other bike for any distance saying "just go ahead and hack it."

Quite often, those very same "go ahead and cut it" types have never done a valve adjustment, or a carb sync. If it runs, however marginally, cut it up. Don't worry about details like valves, then come whining a season or two later because the bike has become hard to start.

Folks like Rick, or Max-X, or me, who try to advise "know what you're getting into before you shoot your foot off" don't always have an EASY ANSWER, so we get ignored. But the sorry fact of the matter is, you can learn the hard way, or listen to some advice from a few old farts who've been at this a while and save some blood, sweat and dollars.

I always recommend a first-time rider learn to ride and survive on the streets before handicapping themselves with a beer-tap suicide shifter or a tractor seat. Or better yet, no front brake, because somebody said "just do it." Yeah. Do it.

Consider this: I've been riding street motorcycles in and around metro Detroit for over 43 years. I'M STILL HERE. You know what I ride.

(Although I don't take the Norton down into the city.)

So I say, chop away. Let's see what you're riding 30 years from now.

Or is that "if...."

14. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

Nobody on this post has told him to do anything unsafe if anything we have told him to make sure everything is sound and done correctly. The first six posts on this subject were all about asking him to look around and make sure this is what he really wanted to do. But if he's made up his mind to make a bobber out of it it is up to us to at least try to give him advise on the correct and safe way to do it not just talk down to him. He has heard both sides of the story it's his bike and his life and the only way to learn is to get your hand dirty. My 2 cents.

15. slobzer

slobzer New Member

you know what man im 19 i dont really have much experience, i cant weld (yet) but might have access to someone who knows how, i also have a welder. but how do you learn things with out practice. im not going to tear into anything without well planning first. im not looking for magic answers just advice.

16. slobzer

slobzer New Member

my bike runs fine, and i want a project. ill watch out for those fasteners though, thanks

17. slobzer

slobzer New Member

im not disassembling the motor or taking the bike down to the bare frame. just cutting the rear portion of the frame, adding a solo seat. not hacking! finely cutting. :D

18. slobzer

slobzer New Member

\

thanks man, i too believe in hands on learning.

19. slobzer

slobzer New Member

all im doing is cosmetic!

20. slobzer

slobzer New Member

i agree 130%. thanks man.

that being said. is there any advice you guys can give me about cutting back extra portion of the frame. keep in mind im just making notes (not quite there yet) how ever i am going at this smart and planning my next moves before i do anything.

i have a saws all, with blades for metal