1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First Motorcycle Trip from Grand Rapids, MI to Missoula, MT

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by RevRider, Apr 9, 2014.

1. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Hey Rev, welcome aboard.

I take summer ride with a buddy every year - a few weeks away from #4 now.
    First one was 4 months after the bike purchase. 150 miles per day for 3 days.
    Since then we have climbed to 200-300 per day for 4 days each year. This is in the Rocky Mtns, so these are not miles at a steady 75.

My findings:
    1. the small tank makes for frequent stops (not just when its empty, but when its close to empty and you see gas ahead)
    2. the gas stops turn into a leg stretch/snack, and adds time to the day
    3. due to #1 and 2, 300 miles is like a full day, seriously near 8 hours
    4. I used to be a boat guy in KY, and the weariness rule of thumb was that each hour on the lake was the metric equiv of a beer. Riding tends to be like that to a lesser degree, so 8 hours on the road with the wind, the curves, the sound, and the concentration can wear on a rider
    5. these seats are not made for that much time on them, so use extra cushioning. I wear a pair of bikers shorts under my jeans with the crotch chamois: http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Mens- ... T47YATC4GP. Padding and moisture control is excellent
    6. with everything on the bike in perfect tune and updated to the best safety level, you stand a CHANCE of a great day, pending road problems and weather, and fatigue
    7. heavy meals make you tired and less attentive
    8. I am 45 so all the above affects me more than you :wink:
    9. to save room, use 1 pair of good riding pants the whole time - no one can smell them in the wind anyway :lol:

Lastly, I am with you on this! When I finally got my bike in running condition, I was chomping at the bit to watch home disappear in my rear view.

Upload pics and a story when you're back.

2. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

Re: First Motorcycle Trip from Grand Rapids, MI to Missoula,

I think so long as you get everything to spec, and well maintained, it should be a blast.

I've spent more rebuilding my bike than I paid for it, and after a couple "touring" additions, I feel pretty comfortable taking it across country.

Build a little toolkit by doing all the "regular" maintenance and adjustments, and throw only the tools you use into a bag.

That being said, there's some dude on an XJ in South America right now who rode down from canada.

If you're mechanically confident, you'll have a great time.

3. lacucaracha

lacucaracha Member

And I kinda think 250 is a good day. Your compatriot on the CB will probably be the limiting factor, to be honest.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

5. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

I concur, and suggest taking 2 through MN too, tho that's going to mean a more aggressive north tac than you were planning. Hwy 2 is a decent road, and personally I find Interstates a bit rough on an XJ. Of course, you do have limited time so maybe that's for a later trip.

Hwy 2 through Chippewa St Forest on into ND is really nice. Then again, 94 brings you through Badlands and Medora (Teddy Roosevelt Nat Park). Bloody heck, I'd take a month! :lol:

6. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

About time for this trip, I hope things went well.

7. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Re: First Motorcycle Trip from Grand Rapids, MI to Missoula,

Really? I spent 10 hours dodging thunderstorms last Friday and only saw runway for the first and last 15 secs of each flight... kinda makes it more fun, but back to the topic on hand;

The journey is the fun part. Give yourself a couple extra days to travel so nothing is rushed. This way, if you get tired your schedule can afford it. If something mechanical happens, your schedule can afford it. Take your time. Enjoy the trip.

I take my bike on 1000km trips, now, but I've done a full rebuild and carry spare parts and tools. I did a 4900km trip around British Columbia last year that I was utterly unprepared for, and definitely didn't make some smart decisions here and there. Take everyone's advice, make sure the bike can handle the trip. Check, if not repair or replace the things like valves, float levels, new brakes and lines, fresh brake fluid, upgrade the fusebox so an electrical nightmare won't stall your trip. How are your wheel bearings? Didn't catch what model your bike was, either lube the chain or replace the final gear oil. There is so much more that I am missing, but my point is this: don't assume a system won't fail on you. Assume everything will fail until you can prove otherwise.