1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

first ride :)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Rifkinn, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

Yeah! I rode my new bike today for the first time. It might have been 35 degrees outside and the ride might have lasted an hour and a half but I had to do it to get her home :). Possibly not the smartest thing I've ever done since I've not even been on a bike in 20 years but oh the smile on my face :) :).

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

That was me a couple weeks ago. It'd been 17 years for me, and I had a SEG on my face after the first two miles. Snow storm since and waiting on a few parts (air filter, fuse box, etc.) so just been tinkering here and there. Forgot how much fun it was!

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. waldo

waldo Member

Congrats guys what bike did you get Rifkenn

5. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

PO is a good friend. We replaced front and rear breaks, oil, filter, plugs, tires last Nov. He had carbs prof cleaned and then rechecked with another carb shop. I basically paid him what he had into it for parts and did some other work on it over the winter. He bought it for 200 because it was "siezed". But motor was fine, it was the rear drum locked, so yes, checking for delamination is VERY important. An air filter and new fuse panel in the mail, then just need the snow to melt and salt to get washed away.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That will give you time to adjust the valves before the neglect becomes critical.

Back to the delaminated rear brakes. My original thread produced what, 7 pages or more of responses, a LOT of them from folks who discovered them also. Somebody just posted last week in another thread that when he took the rear apart, the linings fell out. It's downright apalling how often this happens.

7. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

8. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I hadn't thought about the box until I joined this site. Took a look and somewhere in the past years an owner decided that the ignition could be hardwired w/o a fuse and that the headlight could be fused inline with a 15 amp, so I put a ten in and it blew almost immediately, suspect the wiring in the steering stem since it blew when i turned the bars left (not riding at the time). Waiting for the fuse block to be wired before i dig too far into the harness in front. Nothing noticible so I'm going to tear the beam (not original either) apart tomorrow. By the way, anyone know which headlight the RJ came with stock? like the round light lots better than the square ugly box that's on it now. Is the shell the same as the '82 Maxim?

9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

"so I put a ten in and it blew almost immediately, suspect the wiring in the steering stem since it blew when i turned the bars left (not riding at the time). "

Yeah, that would be a clue that there might be a little problem....I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing cause I can envision it happening to me too. I was shocked when I popped the seat and opened the stock "fuse box". What the hay? My 6 y/o grandson could have designed and built a better fuse box with Playdoh!!

Congrats guys on your return to riding!! Sure feels good after a few years off doesn't it?

jeff

10. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

sure does Jeff. Glad I decided to buy the xj instead of another cb750. I knew it wouldn't be a bike much newer for 2 reasons, 1. I love the style of these sport/cruiser bikes like the xj and cb, and 2. I can actually work on these MYSELF! LOL now.....where did I put that darn wrench?

11. schooter

schooter Active Member

st louis! dang we get alot of people from michigan...

and im finding the sohc cb750's are alot easier than these to work on, especially loving the non cv roundslide carbs

12. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Sure do Schooter, I was gonna comment on that but let it go earlier but there's a bunch of Michigainers here....I was born and raised in Ann Arbor.....

jeff