1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First Test Spin. New probs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by SLKid, Mar 25, 2009.

1. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Good point friday.. They're new plugs so I'd have to let her Idle for a while to check the color. I also havent messed with my Mixture screws on the carbs yet.. Maybe three and four are too tight?? And midnight. I've cleaned the enrichment circuits. Those are the TINY holes in the fuel bowls right?? I guess I could try it again. I planned on checking the floats again today.

2. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Well, if you are using the stock air filter and box, it'll be a bit difficult to squirt it directly into the air path of #3 and #4 carbs. If you're running pods, it's no problem. Just take the pod off and squirt it right in there with the engine already running on #1 and #2 cylinders.

Can you carefully pull the filter box boot off of #4 carb and slip the red straw into the air path of that carb?

Regarding your next step, all I can say is pull the carbs and investigate the fuel jets. Also make sure that the fuel bowel is actuall filling with fuel and that the needle isn't stuck in the seat.

3. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Just got home from my dads. I brought my carbs with me cause I knew he was gonna talk the whole time lol! I reset my floats. Re turned the mixture screws, bottomed them out and turn two and a half turns. Squirted out the fuel jets, made sure a nice stream of fluid was coming through on each. Made tighter the bolts connecting to the fuel bowls. None of my needles are sticking. So if there was a problem in my carbs there definatly shouldnt be now.
    I'm gonna pick up a spare spark plug and some starter fluid tomorrow before work. I'm too sick to wanna do anything else today. Standing for a hour and a half workin on ym carbs almost drained me.. Gotta work tonight too.. ugh..
    -SLKid

4. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Ok.. guys.. I think you should know this.
    I was laying down to take a nap (I feel real crappy cause of allergies. Dont hate on naps) And as i was lying there with my gf, shes sick too, I jsut had this naggin suspision and this image in my head of when I was spraying out the jets. It was odd.. 3 and four didnt look like 1 and two in the replay in my head when i squirted them out.
    My pilot and fuel screws underneath the diaphram were misplaced. I had the wrong jets in the wrong holes.. Like... Seriously??? Maybe thats all it is guys! Hope so. We'll see tomorrow when I replace the carbs
    Sincerly, a very sick
    -SLKid

5. bill

bill Active Member

I assume you mean the air jets in top. If swapped they will definitely cause you issues. Hopefully that's all it is.

6. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Yes I meant the air jets. Thank you! Sudaphed makes my XJ skills waver. I mean, it makes sense though. My cylinders were'nt gettin enough fuel, and mispalced airjets could cause the lack thereof fuel. Its wierd I only misplaced them on three and four and not 1 and 2. Thanks to the "Clunk Test" I was able to see what goes where. Thanks Bill

7. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Ok, cool. Check it out when you're up to it. The bike isn't going anywhere.

8. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

I'll probably put my carbs back on tomorrow morning, if I can use my landlords garage so I can hook up my gfs hairdryer. Its gonna rain tomorrow so hopefully he doesnt have one of his antique cars in it. Be nice to start her up for my Dad when he comes around! I'm try and get a vid of her start up tomorrow. Just cause. :)
    -SLKid

9. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Cylinder 3 and 4 fire!! yay. But as I tried to fix my still leaky petcock.. this happens...