1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For those of you who have replaced the throttle shaft seals

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Broke_Dirty_Maxim, Aug 5, 2009.

  1. Broke_Dirty_Maxim

    Broke_Dirty_Maxim Member

    Messages:
    234
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Jacksonville, NC
    I have an '81 XJ550 Maxim and am in the process of replacing the throttle shaft seals. I am wondering which direction the V-seals are supposed to be installed.

    When I took them apart they were all facing outwards on each individual carburetor ( >-------------< ). But that just seems counter-intuitive to me, and I have replaced many a seal on either my vehicles or on helicopters and that just seems backwards to me based on my experience.

    If anyone knows exactly how they are supposed to be installed, that information would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. razz1969

    razz1969 Active Member

    Messages:
    578
    Likes Received:
    145
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    Cleveland, Tx
    "I have replaced many a seal on either my vehicles or on helicopters"

    The open part of the v always goes on the high pressure side, i.e. oil seal on an engine block the open side of the seal goes inward. that way the more pressure there is the tighter the seal will be. Well on the carburetor the high pressure is on the outside because of the vacuum on the inside thus the more vacuum on the inside the more it presses on the out side due to the pressure differential.. Hope this helps
     
  3. Broke_Dirty_Maxim

    Broke_Dirty_Maxim Member

    Messages:
    234
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Jacksonville, NC
    Yes it does help very much. All of the seals I have changed were keeping oil/fluid in. So the operating pressures were helping to maintain or reinforce the seal. Same thing here, just in the opposite direction.
     
  4. XJ700VET

    XJ700VET Member

    Messages:
    288
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Portland OR
    OK, I'm trying to picture this in my little mind. The open end of the "V" is pointing away from the body of the carb? Help me to see this, I'll be re-assembling my carbs again tomorrow & I don't want to get this wrong. I've got a mystery air leak that I'm having trouble locating & this might be my problem.

    Thanks
    Ken
     
  5. stereomind

    stereomind Active Member

    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Tulsa, OK
    Just a note... Chacal carries replacement seals which are "X" ring type.. You can't mess those up... :)
     

Share This Page