1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

fork oil

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by Desimir (Des) Kusic, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Desimir (Des) Kusic

Desimir (Des) Kusic New Member

Hello fellas.
    Can anyone tell me is it's wise to add (and if so, how and how much?) some fork oil without taking forks apart.Found that my forks are bit soft,or that is normal for Seca's. They are working fine,just a bit soft.I have fork oil.
    Thank you for the help.:)

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Which bike do you have? Do you have a Haynes manual? My 900f is 276cc per fork leg. Use SAE 10W fork oil. Remove the drain screws and pump the forks to expel the oil, assuming you can get it all out that way. The level is taken from the top of the fork leg (with the forks off the bike) so use a measuring jug or syringe if you want to refil them without removing them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    cgutz likes this.
  3. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

I use ATF in my forks.

4. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

I just used 5w40 synthetic and have noticed nothing untoward. The zook handbooks of the 70s used to recommend a 50/50 mixture of ATF and 10w40 engine oil, so I'm somewhere close to that.
    I came across mention that the factories used to use whale oil, but can't find any verification of that. Certainly accounts for the foul smell of old fork oil if they've never been drained and changed.

Andrew Nichols likes this.