1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Forward Controls

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Vampirum, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Vampirum

Vampirum New Member

I recently ordered some forward controls from tcbroschoppers.com for my 1983 XJ750 Maxim and thought I'd share the link to the product with you guys in case others were looking for a similar product. They also have them for the XJ650.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/forward-controls/yamaha-maxim-xj750-forward-control-kit.html

You will also require a universal linkage kit to make the required connections.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/forward-controls/universal-linkage-kit.html

I'll post pictures once I've got the parts in and made the modification. :)

2. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

I've been looking at these... let me know how they work out!

3. Ted

Ted Member

I just bolted mine on this weekend too (check my build thread in my signature). Installation was suuuper easy and they look and work great. Make sure you have some red or blue locktite on hand to smear on the threads. Otherwise the only problem I encountered was now my shift pattern is reversed (1up & 5 down). Haven't decided what I'm gonna do about that yet...

4. gijim

gijim Member

I'm not picturing how it would reverse the pattern. Clicking up would pull forward which should be clockwise which is still the same way, at least it appears to be in the picture on the link that was given

5. Ted

Ted Member

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that I also had the shifter cover off to replace the shift shaft seal (see here: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=43032.html) so I'm not 100% sure if I reversed something in there when I was putting it back together or if this was caused by the forward control linkage. I'm going to try flipping the "clampy-onny-thingy" 180 degrees but not sure if I'll have clearance for the linkage rod around the left side cover.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You are correct about his setup being set so that lifting up on the shift lever makes the shift shaft turn clockwise (the ends of the linkage are 0º from each other on their respective pivot points). Turning the shift shaft clockwise engages the next lower gear, which is why he has 1 up- 5 down.

The stock Maxim linkage places the shift lever so that lifting the lever rotates the shift shaft CCW (the ends of the linkage are 180º from one another on their respective pivot points)

On the Seca the difference is where the shift lever is in relation to the linkage. It's (effectively) 180º out from where it is on the Maxim, so even though the ends of the linkage are 0º from one another the shift shaft still gets turned CCW when you lift up on it.

7. gijim

gijim Member

Just looked at mine again and I realized I was mistaken. forward controls on mine without flipping that "clampy thingy"it would reverse the order. I was remembering a previous bike.

8. Vampirum

Vampirum New Member

Can't open your link. I am very interested in reading that topic. Can you link it again? Or have another thread?

9. Ted

Ted Member

Just look in the "Chat" section for "Replaced shift shaft seal now binding? - NEED HELP!" I'm pretty confident now that I didn't reverse anything internally after looking at some pics of the original linkage. The old linkage hooked up from behind the shift lever and the forward control comes from the front so it makes sense that it would be reversed.

10. strat

strat Member

I have the tc bros forward controls on my xj700 and it did not reverse my shift pattern... Sounds like you may have something installed incorrectly.

11. 82NewToMe

82NewToMe Member

i've got the same forward controls, I don't have the bike on the road yet, but I love the way they look, feel and the price was great.

12. Ted

Ted Member

Do you have any before and after pics of your shifter linkage? I'm wondering how different it is from the XJ750?

13. 82NewToMe

82NewToMe Member

only before pics I have is of the bike in my build thread, nothing up close.

14. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

I have the same thing (reversed shift pattern) with my custom made forward controls. If you look at the pic here (this is from the TCbros forward controls) you'll notice the armature on the shifter shaft is pointing downward.

[​IMG]

The stock setup is with the armature pointing UP #16 in the diagram

[​IMG]

You can see mine is pointing downward in this pic, I have a reverse pattern..

[​IMG]

So the bottom line is this...If your armature is:
    pointing down = reversed shift order
    pointing up = normal operation.

UNLESS the armature linkage at the pedal is above the foot peg rather than below it...then everything I just said is reversed... confused yet?!!? lol

youngR likes this.
  15. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

I've thought about forward controls but I didn't see where tc bros made them for my 700. Do you remember the part number?

16. Ted

Ted Member

From strat's build thread:

"tc bros is who I bought the controls from. they are for the xj650. you need to buy different hardware to mount them as the 650's have threaded holes in the frame where the 700 has through holes and you will need spacers to clear the outer header tubes. (i bought an extra set of nuts to use as spacers)"

I bet if you call up TC Bros. or IM strat they could help you figure out what you need.

17. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

That would be correct for the 700 as the shifter pedal is directly connected to the shift shaft and there is no linkage like the 750 has
    [​IMG]

So the 750 set up as shown on the TCbros pics will have a reversed pattern, the 700 will not have a reversed pattern (the 650 is also similar to the 700) gots to remember to compare apples to apples when talking parts and fitment :D

18. Ted

Ted Member

Thanks Mad_Bohemian! I've really been wondering about that one since he posted it... I wonder if TC Bros is aware of this?