1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front and rear brake overhaul - need help with parts list!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by aholeinthewor1d, Jul 2, 2022.

1. aholeinthewor1d

aholeinthewor1d New Member

Got my 1980 XJ650G Maxim a few weeks ago and it’s in really good shape but I don’t know the history at all. I have read the posts about the rear brake shoes and the front brake line. Managed to find the date code on mine and sure enough it’s May of 1980!

I would like to replace/rebuild all brake related components and I’m getting a little overwhelmed trying to figure out everything I will need. I have a bunch of “how to” links saved and ready to go I just need to get everything ordered. If anyone could help me make a complete parts list of what I will need that would be awesome. I am looking to do all the brake lines (stainless steel black if possible), front pads, rear shoes, and whatever else everyone suggests. If rebuilding the master cylinder and front caliper is recommended I’d like to do all those things also. The reason I need help with a list is when I look at different how to videos there is mention of random washers, bolts, and various other small things that should be replaced so it gets a little confusing. If someone could “brake” it down for me and help come up with a list that would be a huge help. Maybe something organized in sections for example Front brakes, Rear brakes, etc, followed by everything I will need for each repair.

Besides putting a battery in it and fixing some simple wiring this stuff will be the first work I do to my XJ and I can’t wait to get going. Already learned tons from this site and I'm looking forward to making my new bike SAFE. Thank you!!

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. If you contact Len @chacal aka Chacal on info@xj4ever.com he has all the parts for your bike. He will be able to advise on pads and shoes, brake lines and master cylinder rebuild kits etc. He will get an alert from this post.

Timbox and k-moe like this.
  3. aholeinthewor1d

Thanks I was planning to talk to him once I got at least a list together first that way he can let me know if I am missing anything. Figured I'd start here and get some opinions on things I should do/replace while I am doing this stuff. I wanna do the front and back brakes all new including rebuilding master cylinder and caliper. I'm also going to be ordering feeler gauges so I can adjust the valves and I was reading some other threads and someone mentioned replacing the rubber doughnuts for the valve cover bolts. Those are the type of things I'd like to get opinions on. The little things I should do while I am doing all this other stuff. I'd like to order everything at once so the bike isn't off the road too long then. Thanks

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Chacal made your parts list before you ever bought the bike.

5. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

As long as you are tearing down to do the brakes, I would consider:
    - Steering head bearings
    - Front wheel bearings
    - Rear wheel bearings

6. aholeinthewor1d

Thanks! Forgot to mention that but I was definitely planning on doing the steering head bearings. Didn't think of the wheel bearings but assuming they aren't much I might as well while I have them off.

7. Dan Gardner

They are not super hard but I would recommend having the proper tools. How many miles on the bike?

8. aholeinthewor1d

Just hit 31k today. Only maybe 200 are mine though. Need to stop and get this brake stuff figured out though. Just a little overwhelmed with figuring out everything I need and should do as far as the brakes (hence the post).

9. Dan Gardner

One trick that I've used for things like brakes is to acquire a good serviceable set of M/C and caliper and rebuild those. That way you can work on them without taking the bike out of service. Once you have them all rebuilt and all your new hoses and crush washers you can just swap them.

@Wingedwheel might have a good M/C and caliper for you:
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/titled-frame-xj650.131091/

Franz and Simmy like this.