1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel cap not venting well - Seca Turbo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Crankwalk, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

Hello all,

In the last couple of days, it's been warmer here than I have ridden this bike in (low 70s) and i've had all the classic "fuel tank not venting" symptoms. Running rough all of a sudden, missing , and the tall tale hissing while running and then the teapot whistle from the cap after turned off. Open the cap after a ride and the Whoosh of vacuum is present.

http://www.xj4ever.com/catalog/c-fuel.html
    HCP22234 Aftermarket complete spin-on gas cap REBUILD KIT, for use on all 1984-85 FJ600, XJ650 Turbo, XJ750D, XJ750RL, and XJ900 models.
    $ 37.95

It looks like the rebuild kit is available for $37.95 but I'm curious if there is an aftermarket cap that is working well for somebody specifically with the turbo or are people just drilling a 1/8 in hole in the top of the cap to get more venting on an otherwise functioning cap? I'm looking to get this thing back on the road ASAP so if I can find something locally at a parts store that's ideal.

It looks like this is a $16 replacement for the OEM part number for the turbo (11H-24602-03-00):

https://www.ebay.com/i/222077105484?chn=ps

https://shop.anchorageyamaha.com/OE...794c228e/ea22463e-2c23-43ed-9cbf-e82a049499ab

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

First thing totry is disassembling the cap and cleaning the vent.
    $ free

3. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

I disassembled and cleaned the whole thing in February when I got it open for the first time since 1995. I was so paranoid that key would get stuck that I cleaned, graphite lube , the whole works short of replacing any parts. The bike has 4K miles and was stored inside so while the rubber is 37 years old , it’s still pliable and in pretty good shape on the vast majority of the gaskets so I reassembled and went along.

It seals well and the lock works smooth now it just doesn’t vent enough when sitting in the sun all day.

4. k-moe

Did you remove the check ball, clean the vent port, and make sure the check ball was smooth?

5. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

I did. It "looked" fine and the ball felt normal. I sprayed (soaked) everything with PB Blaster and used graphite lube in the lock and al was good until the warm temps yesterday.

I rolled the dice on the $16 cap and key set on Ebay that matched the part number. In the meantime, I took a 1/8 in drill bit to the top of my original one and rode last night for half an hour and the bike was flawless. It was cooler last night so the real test will be when I have it sit outside baking in the yard this weekend and ride it in town to see if I can get it hot but so far I’m hoping this is going to solve it.

I''ll report back if that cap ends up working since $16 could be a nice alternative than the $100 OEM one or even the $38 rebuild kit. With 4 other motorcycles and a short riding season, life is too short to rebuild a gas cap if I can help it.

6. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

FYI the $16 TW200 EBay cap is working and venting well. Less than half the price of even a rebuild kit for a turbo and way less than the $100 for a new “Turbo” one from the dealer. The drilled stock cap worked well but I’d rather it not have a hole on the top.

So now I have two separate keys which I personally couldn’t care less about but that’s the only "drawback" I guess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. k-moe

You should be able to swap the lock cylinders.

Chitwood likes this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Crankwalk likes this.
  9. Crankwalk

Crankwalk Member

^Yeah, i've seen that write up but I didn't want to spend the time or more than double the $16 I paid for a new one one buying a rebuild kit.

Yeah, I just didn't feel like messing with it. I just have those 2 keys on that key ring now anyway. This week was too busy putting some seal all on some leaky fuel petcocks on my Triumph, brakes on the cb350F, and setting the timing on the BSA. All the old junk can't be needy at one time.