1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel Shut Off Valve?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Antothoro, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

I'm thinking to myself, it might be nice to have a fuel shutoff valve if I want to take the gas tank off again. At a minimum I would make draining the tank easier.

So I cruised amazon. But could not find any 1/4 inch fuel shutoff valves for engines over 200 cc.

Thoughts?

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Do you not have a OEM petcock on the tank now?
    With the petcock in on position the fuel will not flow, then put it to PRI and fuel will flow.

3. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

:(
    My ignorance of how the petcock works is clear to me now. Thanks for asking that and prompting me to look into that.

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    No worries! We all had to learn how they work sometime. The OEM petcocks are vacuum operated. The small diameter hose that goes from the petcock to a nipple on (usually) #2 carb to head rubber is where the vacuum is supplied. "ON" is the normal operating position until the motor begins to sputter from lack of fuel then rotate to the "RES" position for reserve for a bit of continued operation to get you to a gas station. First thing to do then is rotate back to "ON" so you don't forget and run completely out of gas next time. We have all done that too, at least once. The "PRIME" position is free flowing until you move it.
    John