1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel tank salvage?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by AV13, Jul 20, 2020.

?

Is the fuel tank worth saving?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AV13

AV13 New Member

I just bought an 82' xj650. Shes a beauty, needs some love. She was left outside for about 7 years. I removed the fuel tank to empty out since it still had old fuel in it. Also wanting to see what shape it's in. After taking a peek at what I could see with just a flash light. There is rust and some that is flaking off a bit. The outside is still in great shape.

My question is... is it worth trying to salvage and clean out or toss and try and find a replacement.

Thx

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Evapo Rust

I have tried many things to clean gas tanks of some nasty bikes over the last five yrs. Hands down the best I have used so far is the "Evapo Rust" . I do hear there are some other products out there that do the same. I am not too sure if you can reuse them like you can the Evapo Rust. I have four gallons and have used the same four gallons to clean three badly rusted tanks.

Yes save the tank, but take your time cleaning out the inside of the tank, you don't want to plug up those carbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-Water-based-Non-Toxic-Biodegradable/dp/B00GRSOJSS

k-moe, Franz, AV13 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dre42

Dre42 Member

Personally I would just get a new tank, they're not very expensive and the last thing you'd want is rust happily swimming into those tiny pilot jet holes ;)

4. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

That depends on whether the "82 650" is followed by "Seca" or not.

k-moe likes this.
  5. JCH

JCH Active Member

My tank was very expensive,and then you usually need a petcock and fuel cap to add to the expense,then going threw the carbs $$$
    If just want to get it running may want to try cleaning it,depends on where your heart is on that machine?

6. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

Evapo-Rust worked well in my tank. Just used POR-15 tank sealer too and hoping it keeps the rust at bay.