1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Getting stuck backing up

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by arborgent, Aug 31, 2020.

1. arborgent

arborgent New Member

'82 550 Seca.

With the bike off and in neutral I've been having an incredibly difficult time backing the bike up. It's not rolling freely at all. Today I discovered that if I turn the handlebars to the LEFT I can back up no problem and the bike will roll freely. If I turn the handlebars to the RIGHT, I can't back up at all. Oddly though, I can roll FORWARD no problem while the bars are turned right. While the bars are to the right I'm also getting a squeal from the front brakes like the pads are rubbing. While riding I don't detect any resistance from the caliper pistons getting stuck, and it feels nice and firm.

Wondering how to remedy this. New pads (I haven't pulled them out yet to how much life they have left yet)? Buy/rebuild master cylinder or calipers?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

some 550 pads need the hole in pad worked a bit t with a file to install smooth, if they bind on pin they may hang up.

would be a good idea to rebuild mc and caliper

cgutz and k-moe like this.
  3. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Have your brake lines been replaced and calipers cleaned'/rebuilt and new brake fluid? My calipers hung up periodically while backing and turning and made rubbing sound until I did this. It may actually be doing it while driving, you just don't notice it. I ended a ride and the front brakes were EXTRA hot. Decided I needed to redo the system. Fuel economy went up too!

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Are your brake lines routed correctly? Sounds like as you turn the bars you are flexing/constructing a hose and the MC isn’t releasing the pressure

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

How about some diagnosing here?

Get the bike on its centerstand on a hunk of plywood so with a helper on the seat you can raise the front wheel off the ground. Spin the wheel, and turn the handlebars left and right. We'll assume the wheel spins freely when straight ahead; turn the bars and see if the brake is actually being applied due to an issue with the hose, or if the pads/caliper are doing something goofy, or ??? It should be relatively easy to diagnose if you can watch it happen.

cgutz, hogfiddles and Franz like this.