1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Good information on Pods vs Airbox

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sybe, May 22, 2017.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Carbs are applied science. Science does not require belief in order to be true.
    Preference is another matter.

2. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

Particularly when it is actual science, and not just theory ....

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Theory is an important part of science. It is the starting point of every experiment. You make a theory, come up with tests for the theory, collect data based on test results, and prove or disprove your theory.
    "Pods work well with cv carbs" is a theory that has been tested many times, and the majority of the evidence from these tests indicates that the theory is untrue.

Stumplifter and k-moe like this.
  4. k-moe

Umm......pardon me for the UGH, as I teach science.

What Matti describes is a hypothesis, though it has become common parlance to refer to it as a theory in everyday speech.

A scientific theory is an explanation for how something works or occurs, and that is shown to be accurate by repeatedly testing the explanation and getting the same (or very similar) results. The germ theory of disease transmission is one example. Another is the theory of fluid dynamics (which holds airplanes aloft, and makes carburetors work, etc.).

To complete the series;
    A scientific law is a theory that describes some portion of how the universe works (the law of gravitational attraction is the most well-known).

Stumplifter and XJ550H like this.
  5. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

On Vancouver Island, where I live, we get frequent rainfall and being in a rain forest some parts are perpetually wet and misty. I haven't had to push my bike off the road and wait for it to dry out once since I replaced the POs pods with the original airbox. With the pods on I would have to take the car to work if there was any chance it would rain.

I also think the pods are ugly but I may be in the minority there.

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

This is not the proper way to state a theory, as the word "well" is not defined operationally. What does "well" mean to you, to me, to any of a thousand other people? Without a specific definition, then any results can (and will) be argued over endlessly, and what is REALLY being argued over is the definition of the word "well".

Science, math, and other technical disciplines tend to use long, very specific words and definitions for a reason.......to eliminate ambiguity and create precision out of chaos.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Stumplifter, k-moe and XJ550H like this.
  7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Sorry guys. I haven't been in a lab since the last century. My THEORY is that my high school teachers did a semi-decent job of getting through to the kid who was doing pharmaceutical experiments on himself in the back of the class!

*Edit: Scientifically speaking, a fail is a fail. No grey area. I was rong.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    cgutz, Stumplifter and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  8. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

he replaced his carbs because of a idle mixture was over tightened and damage the seat.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think pods look cool on the correct bike or when used with the correct carbs, and they are an air filter so I assume you have to buy new ones every few years.
    but that is where the issue comes in spending a grand or so on the correct carbs is is very unattractive to me.

the pods on my poor abused XK750J look nice but are rusted and clogged with oil from breather tube being tied up between them,so sad:(.
    I am going to try them out just to compare them to the XJ750K, then find an air box for J and be done with the pod thing.
    I figure I should see what I run into and can adjust just to expand my knowledge base. With all the info coming out it should be fun.
    1st problem is i will need a new set of pods:confused:, because of the rust, hope I do not offend the Yamaha ninja his last visit to me was eyeopening.

10. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

A little late - been far too busy ....

Nice explanation. I thought it was theory until a hypothesis was repeatable, at which time it became scientific fact. Words matter, so I will try to use the words "scientific theory" more accurately. Thanks!

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think the order is
    Idea (can CV carb sets work properly with pods ) which turns into
    hypothesis would be the changes you make and test out then when testing looks successful it turns into
    theory when a theory is tested and accepted by the communities at large it becomes a.
    Law

or something like that

How to Develop a Theory: 14 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

just a little bored at the moment

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  12. REUBEN

REUBEN Member

It seem this forum, and dozens of others, are stuck on trying to get a working hypothesis regarding pods on CV carbs.

XJ550H likes this.
  13. k-moe

Laws and theories are equivalent in the sense that they are based on the results of repeated tests of hypotheses. The diffrernce is that laws always describe how the universe works (though some theories do as well), where theories are more specific and may not hold true ouside of the particular environment being studied.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  14. k-moe

Not really. The reality is that they can work and actually can work well, but the amount of effort required is insane. The big problem for the home mechanic (e.g. all of us) is not having the ability to do bench-flow tests with an endless supply of air jets, fuel jets, slides, needles, and diaphram springs, in order to figure out the right combination that lets the carbs work as well as they do with the airbox (and there will likely still be compromises in power delivery and general rideability on public roads). There are 7 variables in terms of air jetting alone (eight if you want to drill the slides). The testing regimen necessary to develop a solid data sheet for a particular brand and style of pod filter (yet another variable) would take more time than most sane people are willing to do without being paid for the work.

REUBEN, Lightcs1776 and Stumplifter like this.
  15. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

A law describes an observable phenomenon. E.g. The law of gravity

A theory explains why the phenomenon occurs. E.g. Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity.

Lightcs1776, Stumplifter and chacal like this.
  16. k-moe

Also true. The definitions are a bit fuzzy at times.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I'm a cunning linguist. I'll use 'em however I feel at the moment. Sometimes I use them wrong on porpoise for comedy.
    Malapropism? Any English teachers in the house?

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

what was the question again?

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Something to do with motorcycles, I think!

20. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

If Yamaha had wanted my XJ to have pods, they would have designed it with pods.

Sorry in advance for my obscurantist statement......

Stumplifter likes this.