1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Got a new to me bike

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by saftie, Feb 18, 2019.

1. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, 45 degrees.
    Going over carbs now.. So far everything looks ok.

And yes, fingers crossed the noise came from that. Definitely the side the noise was coming from

2. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Wow! Looks like a fuel line clamp. Doesn't look like it's chewed up or damaged though, and wonder if that was your noise or is there something else that got ingested into the engine, or a more serious mechanical issue?

You mentioned metal fragments when you drained the oil. If it was a very small amount, it may be from the 2nd gear trouble that is a potential concern. Of course your taking the word of the previous owner at this point, and I sure hope that it's not something too severe.

Tony

3. saftie

I do hope the noise came from the clamp. It did came from that cylinder. Fingers crossed. I wanted to pull wheels for new tires but get stuck trying to fix the issue.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  4. saftie

Well, been trying to get her running by cleaning carbs. Just put everything back but still no luck.
    Done for today. I will check compression in morning.

5. saftie

Well, still have that awful loud ticking.
    So it was not the clamp. Shame. Was hoping it would be an easy fix.

Will do compression test just to see where I am then possibly drop the engine completely. Might as well take care of the second gear while I'm at it.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That is a very positive outlook! I would make sure the bike runs before you put new shoes on her :) How did the carbs look? Anything green or growing in them? Lots of carb cleaner and high pressure air? You ran through them in an afternoon, so I am guessing they looked really good when you took the off.
    Keep plugging away and I hope you find the noise in the engine and it is not a bad thing.

7. saftie

Yes, carbs looked pretty good. Didn't see anything and cleaned the bit that was in there. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the pilot screw.
    I was not able to see through end to end on all 4. The manual didn't specify anything and I was not able to get a fine needle through. So yes. Maybe that's the issue. Ill pull them again and soak them for a day or two.

Regarding tires: well, I already have them and getting them installed, including bearings, only costs 50 or so. So might as well do that. Same for fork springs.
    Getting it done means I can focus on the last remaining parts: engine and carbs. Plus it gives me small success stories.

Timbox likes this.
  8. saftie

Did compression test and all 4 are at 160.
    Started taking stuff off the bike and had a look under the valve cover. Nothing alarming there.
    Going to strip bike more tomorrow to prepare for engine drop in a few days.

9. saftie

Carbs go to Dave for detailing while I take care of engine.
    Once done this bike will be sweet.
    Haven't seen anything else that worries me. Still a good deal. :)

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Whatever you sink into it beyond your $750 purchase is well worth it.
    The cosmetics appear perfect.
    A mid-90's 600 sportbike still offers way more performance than is sanely usable on the street.
    I like it.

11. saftie

I agree.
    So far I spent 250 on tires and bearings, 100 on upgraded fork springs as well as 40 on the original tail.

I guess another 300 on gaskets, fluids and misc parts. And that should be it and will give me a solid classic. Plus, I went over everything on the bike and know it's safe. Can't beat that.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Saftie,
    Still can't wait till you find the noise and or why she is not running. Good idea to have those carbs really gone through. If she was talking to you (popping) I am guessing something up with the carbs. So you are going to pull the engine?

13. saftie

Yes, will definitely pull the engine. This way I can address the second gear issue as well. Plus valve clearance when all is back together. Pulling the engine is a quick job, just all the fluids are a pain to drain.

Sometimes I wonder if the start issue could be related to vacuum. There is just so much vacuum stuff going on with the bike, tubes going everywhere.
    Even with starter fluid, it took a while to kick in., As if it wasn't sucked in but had to work its way down.

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes getting all the stuff off away from the engine is a challenge. That and not dinging the radiator or messing up any of the wiring harness. Glad you have a plan on the second great issue and that way as you said you can be for sure. Those compression numbers were nice! :)

15. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Any unusual noises when cranking it over for the compression test?

Sometimes a dead cylinder, i.e. lack of fuel, will give a popping or misfire sound back through the carbs.
    Hopefully that will be taken care of after the Carb Wizard (Hogfiddles) goes through them.

Also looked at the parts diagram of the valvetrain. Those have small adjusting screws/lock nuts with a single rocker actuating two valves. Could have a loose one that would cause a lot of racket when going to open a valve.

Tony

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

So true and they are so much nicer IMHO to adjust than the shim type. Sure hope that is it.

17. saftie

No unusual sounds when cranking, everything sounds normal. No popping or backfire at any time.
    Once it runs, there is a certain rpm range when it's metal on metal. It goes away at higher rpm.
    All seems to be coming from cylinder 1, maybe 2, but def on left side.

Looking under the valve cover, there is a lot of red marker highlighting certain positions (Ex, In) as well as on parts down in there.
    The cover bolts didn't require much force to loosen, don't think they were torqued down correctly. I'm sure someone s been in there before.

18. saftie

Found a video that sounds exactly like what I'm hearing:

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That sounds more like an exhaust leak at the exhaust collar

k-moe and Simmy like this.
  20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If it is exhaust leak, I guess you could use some smoke as a test tool. Blow it around the exhaust area as it connects to the head and see if the smoke moves? If you don't smoke then just a small wood bit or even dried tree branch, something that will give you smoke to push to the exhaust area.

My ear is thinking tappet in the valves is loose or out of spec. I only say that as it really sounds like metal on metal sound. Not like main crank bearing and the piston is hitting but more like valve tappets.