1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gunson Colortune Issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mjolnir, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Member

Thanks for the PDF, that's the first time I've seen that and it was super helpful!

2. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Member

FEE1C08D-2338-4282-AA70-0C4DDC122714.jpeg A8CEE3BA-A7DB-4C5E-A67D-D47DEE6CC48F.jpeg 6352D707-458C-45D5-8758-DF8D724B2F16.jpeg

All of them looked like this, some came out with the screw, others I needed to pick out with a small hook.

do those look good or do I need to replace them? And what’s the next step: take carbs off and double check the idle jet passage?

3. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

If the tiny o-rings are not cracked and in otherwise good shape, they look good to me but I'm no expert.

4. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Member

They look a little pancaked, but they are still rubbery and not cracked or anything like that. Pretty sure they are less than 5 years old.
    What's the best/easiest way to clean the idle jet passage? When I double checked the carbs (see previous posts/pics) I removed the jets and soaked everything in carb cleaner and it all looked good. There very well could be a blocked passage, but I don't know how to clean those internal passages besides what I already did.

@hogfiddles

5. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I’d just replace the o-rings if there’s ANY question.....
    Passages—Yup, lots of spray, and lots of compressed air. I typically use 2-3 cans per rack AFTER the dip. Then compressed air. I make sure that when I spray, I see a good amount of spray come out somewhere else. I spray through EVERY hole, regardless of whether spray came out of it already........spray in every hole, it better come out somewhere. Then the same thing with air. I have my air set at 100psi, and I use a pistol-style with a small tube, and also a rubber tip kind, to make sure I can get into every hole and have a seal so I can hear if air comes out some where or not..... air goes in EVERY hole, it better come out somewhere.

chacal likes this.
  7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Member

So I think I figured it out: the vacuum line caps have deteriorated so they no longer seal super well. The
    “bubble” at the top of the tubes had actually formed a slight area that air could leak by so instead of pushing them all the way down I only pressed them halfway down and put the clamps right over that section instead of at the base of the vacuum tube. Two rides (each over an hour) and no high idle of any kind!

Note: this was after I’ve tried the starter fluid trick to find air leaks (twice) and I got no change in RPM. My guess is since the tube is so far up the rubber cap (and the leak was so small) that the fuel didn’t get siphoned up.

Thank you all for your help! I’m very glad to have my bike running like it should after so many years of tinkering.

8. hogfiddles

Ahem......:D:D:D:D

9. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Member

For the record, they were on just non functioning ;)

Anyone have a suggestion on a windscreen? I’m 6-1 so I need one that doesn’t just direct the wind into my helmet but don’t want one as tall as a sky scraper either

10. hogfiddles

Spit Fire by slipstreamer