1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hasersys, The Rust Build. Bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Hasersys, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

You have to click the thumbnails, I am shooting with a 50d in high res. The pics would take up the whole screen if I post full image on this forum. So I post them on photobucket. Just click the picture.

2. vanimal

vanimal Member

lookin good! like the green. gives it an old school army bike look, which is where the bobber originated i think.

3. grinder

grinder Member

lookin very good dude.i like the stance.i thought the way you had the frame rails may spoil the look,but it turns out u got it spot on.

4. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

ohh ok i see now. looks good man, i love the drab green. this is a true tribute bobber.

5. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Yesterday I went to turn it over for the first time to see what would happen. My starter relay clicks on but no starter. So today I will be fixing that. When I was putting my carbs back together I noticed my #3 or #2 carbs mixture screw had fine threads while the rest didn't. The po probably changed that carb, but I'd like to think that one morning a factory worker just ended up putting a different carb on the rack...

Dose anyone know the story on these carbs. I thought I read some where that you mY OR May not have fine threaded mixture screws. Was there a time period where they had been using one or the other?

6. kookie31

kookie31 Member

bike looks great. I like the style. Wish I knew more about these bikes so I could help you out but I very new to this. I like your bike though

7. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Rode it for the first time in 8 months today. Just down the road and back. Stayed on my street. I still need to tune it. It smells a bit rich but it wouldn't run off the choke. I also didn't get a chance to let it warm up though. I have yet to put exhuast on it so it is to loud at the moment.

Running on choke, and dieing off is a sign of a lean condition?

I have new fuel line, filter and know the petcock is working fine. What els is there that could cuase this issue? I am trying to run down the list so when I get to it after it is tuned, if I still have an issue I can jump right to it.

Suggestions?

Exhuast
    New battery
    Tune
    License plate mount
    Taillight

Then I can ride.

8. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

How much exhaust is missing?

Could well be very lean but it smelled rich.... so get your exhaust sorted and then tune the carbs.

Also make sure your fuel filter does not have air trapped. I had one with an air bubble. Leaving the bike sit idle it would run fine. Riding, it died out in a couple miles. After pushing it back to my shop, twice, I figured it out.

9. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

It is just the headers, but after 8 months I had to hear it run.... It is not only loud but annoying... Anyone that rides this bike down the road like this must not have many freinds lol. I never once opend it up all the way. After going up the road and back I parked it and made sure none of my neigbors were coming out side....

I also have a feeling the vacum line needs to be replaced. It is in bad shape.

10. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Got my bike warmed up today. It is running better after tinkering with it a bit. I belive my bikes vaccum tube isn't supplying enough vacum. This is what I am having problems with. When the bike runs off prime it runs fine, but I cannot adjust the idle screw. It idles nice, but can't adjust it. once it is to a certain point it will not lower the idle anymore. I can take it all the way down without the bike shutting off. On the ON setting I notice air bubbles, and the bike has a hard time runing, So I guess the vaccum line needs to be changed.... I AM NOT WANTING TO FIX the petcock if it is broken, but I really think it is a vaccum issue.. Anyone inform me on any thing?

11. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Simple test, take that vacuum line off the engine side and suck on it. That'll open your petcock and you'll see the flow. If you taste gas, petcock leaks through the diaphram, if no gas then it's not opening or you're hose has a leak.

12. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

My bike is done. I will post pics in a couple days.. It is sad. I already want to cut it up and change it. but it is good the way it is. Maybe I will leave it be and find another bike to build. Xs maybe.

13. aharon

aharon Member

I am jealous, man! My xj400 is the first four-cylinder bike I have in my life, and I cannot wait to hear it running, let alone go for a ride!
    I say, I always loved those big, round headlights. My xj is 93, so it had double head lights, looking like the japanese character National Kid (you will never know how he looked like, it's a classic japanese movie series from the 60's - rubber dinosaur-like monsters all around!). The PO took much of the fairing out after falling down - with MY bike!
    After seeing your bike, I decided to try and find a big, chrome plated headlight and go old school as much as I can. My fuel tank is too "modern", but there is little I can do, I guess... it has an enourmous hollow underneat, where the carbs go!
    Anyway, I intend to remove all the remaining side fairings and fill-out the spaces like the 2010 XJ. Not really a cafe, but definitely not the original look.
    Nice job, HaserBRO, and nicer yet all around attitude.

14. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

My head light was bought on ebay, but the place that made it is only a hour and a half from where I live. I got the head light in the mail about a day after I ordered it.

Here are the finished pictures.

Of course it isn't Completly done, but it will never be finished. I will always have something to do to it.

List of what is next.

Rejet and tune.
    wrap exhaust.
    Add a front brake.

Much later I would like to cut it up again.
    I want to run a different rear section. I have a design in my head for runing one shock on the rear, witch will need new back section of the bike. A new seat setup, fender, and battery box. Also I may change the backbone around a bit. This all is after I get a new bike. This way I can have a restoration project, and when it is finished I would have my bobber project. So I can swap off and ride the restored bike while I better the bobber.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made velocity stacks witch have beer cans over top of the. The stacks have a filter at the inlet end of the stack. I found a uni filter that I bought and cut out for them. I saw some one els one the forum who did some thing similar to the beer can thing. I think they placed them over there pods. So I stole the can idea. I do not want to claim it mine. I liked it a lot, and if anyone knows who it was plz name them.

[​IMG]

15. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Oh, Also I have a app on my Iphone for a speedometer. This way I can have a speedo, and still have the ability to keep the bike clean. I am lacking mirrors... I am not sure what to do about this. I haven't found any I like yet. I want some thing that is fitting.

The mount for the Iphone mounts on the bars

16. OnTheStorm

OnTheStorm Member

This bike is bad ass.

17. aharon

aharon Member

OnTheStorm's motto: Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.
    - John le Carre

Man, this is sweet poetry!
    Back in brazil, riding home every night from college, I would sing "Loneliest Rider" from Grand Funk Railroad in my mind. In a way, Mr. Le Carre's words translate the feeling I had. Thank you, dear californian! Biking is culture, too!
    Aharon

18. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

My speedometer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Nice looking speedo, your bars rise more than mine do. I might have to come by and get those babies. :lol:

Grand Funk Railroad, that goes back a ways, I prefer The James Gang, Motorhead and Frank Marino & Mahagony Rush. :wink:

20. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

That is weird, from what I can tell we have the same set of clubmens. I mean They are most likly different, but maybe they are the same and mine are just angaled different. These ones were cheap, and I don't even have risers. They are comffy.