1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HEAD PIPE GASKETS yes you have them and how to remove w/pics

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by bigfitz52, Jan 9, 2011.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

@Franz Both of your questions should go into a thread about YOUR machine please.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Thanks k-moe how do I do that thanks.

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Go to the Technical or Modifications section of the forum. Click the "Post New Thread" button. Come up with a clever title, perhaps including the type of xj, and describe your problem. Geniuses will be with you shortly...

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Thanks MattiThundrrr

5. Furman

Furman Member

Did Fitz ever pen an article on removing old collector/crossover and muffler gaskets? I’m currently dealing with them on my ‘83 Maxim: going to try soaking them with Liquid Wrench overnight and then prying at them with a thin flathead or razor blades tomorrow. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Thank you!

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That sounds like the right thing to do. If you have a pick tool with a bend in it to get behind the gasket that would help. If you have a heat gun that might help as well. I don't think I have had any that were ever that stuck. Did PO put RTV or something behind them?

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think he is talking about the collector and the joint gaskets for muffler to collector or head pipes to collector

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

XJ55H you are correct, I guess I missed that first time around I read it from the beginning too...

Unless you have a good solvent for the old gaskets I would think a wire brush and then a dremel with a wire brush end would do it. Take a old knife and get rid of most of the gasket first and work from there. Years and years of grime...having them blasted would to it too, depending how stable the condition of the collector is.

9. Furman

Furman Member

Thank you both: I ended up having pretty good luck using a pair of flathead screw drivers, a smaller one to start them a medium size one, as chisels to separate the old gaskets from the inside of the pipe. The key was to not destroy the gaskets in the process, because the more they deteriorate the more they become cruddy fibrous metal messes (I got better at it as I went).

I did soak them in a penetrating fluid over night and then again in the morning before tackling it this afternoon. I can’t say for certain if it actually helped but I can’t imagine it hurt, either.

10. jag3

jag3 Member

Which side of the aftermarket exhaust gasket goes towards the engine, Green or White? Gaskets purchased from Chacal, (xj4ever). Thanks. 20201012_224240.jpg

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It doesn't matter.

12. jag3

jag3 Member

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure and didn't see an answer above.

13. DaygloDavid

DaygloDavid Active Member

Following a repair to one of the OEM header pipes on my 1980 XJ650 4K0 (UK), needed to replace all four cylinder head exhaust gaskets. The Yamaha OEM ones are £9.54 each, Wemoto do copper or aluminium fibre for £1.81 each. I chose to use the copper ones, worked a treat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]