1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Headlight Always On? (XJ550)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by unreal41683, Mar 31, 2009.

1. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

Translation... a new relay may not fix my problem.

On the other hand if I change the relay and this issue remains, I do know its the diode.

2. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Fessing up...the Maxim-X light does indeed cut off while the starter button is depressed (albeit this is very brief). I guess I just never noticed...hope I never have to be an eye witness.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

No, you know it's the diode when you disconnect it and put a meter on it and see if it's bad. You should get 0 ohms one way, reverse the leads and get "infinity" (open) the other. 0 ohms both ways or open both ways and the diode is bad. It is more likely a connection or the relay itself. You can pop the lid off the relay and look at it, they're pretty HD.

4. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

Well I can't tell either way till I get the bike back... That's ok, it's snowing today and tomorrow.

5. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

Ok, got the bike back, and installed the used part from Chacal. Headlight now works as expected.... GREAT!!!

Only issue is that there is a question around the relay that was already in place... It had a blue paint dot on it, not the yellow one that I was expecting to see. It was under the tank right by the seat just where I expected it to be. Is there any possibility that I replaced the wrong relay on accident?

Like I said, changing this relay caused the headlight not to light until the engine is running. I just want to make sure that maybe the last person that did this did it wrong, and I haven't screwed something up (would really rather not accidentally screw up the safety relay).