1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help; Electrical problems with my xj750 wont start no power.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Joeoeo, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Hey guys new-ish to the forums and in need of some divine intervention. I recently purchased a 1982 xj750 seca for $1100 running and driving (my first bike ever), I've cleaned her up and did some regular maintenance and everything was working. All lcd warnings were taken care of and she was running 100% I rode a couple days then when I was low on gas headed over to my local non-ethanol pump. I turned the key to off filled up and turned the key to the on position and nothing she left me stranded. I have brake lights, license plate light, instrument cluster illumination lights and nothing else no starter no neutral light no lcd warnings, nothing. Normally I would hear something click when messing with the kill switch but nothing now. Shes dead Jim.

Things I've Checked
    • All fused are good tested with multimeter, although one of the wires dont show any voltage all others have juice. (fuse box was removed by last owner and replaced with inline fuse holders also not labeled)
    • Battery is charged and even tried a brand new one, no change.
    • Yes the kill switch is in the run position.
    • Jumped the little solenoid connected to the positive terminal and the starter runs but wont start (my guess is no spark)
    • Replaced the positive cable with the solenoid attached no change.
    • Doing a once over on everything nothing appears burned or damaged
    • Push starting was a no go

So, yeah what could cause such a massive loss to power? Main fuse it good when I remove that I lose all other lights. Electrical is such a pain especially for someone new to the motorcycle world. I'm hoping its something easy to repair that I can do, we have a local shop that works on motorcycles but i'll use them as a last resort.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Have you checked the kickstand switch? Some folks have had that malfunction. Sounds to me like that could be your problem.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

4. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

This looks like a doublepost, more info can be found on the other one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.