1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Here's the wiring mods to remove the rectangular instruments

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cturek, Oct 25, 2009.

1. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Re: Here's the wiring mods to remove the rectangular instrum

cturek,
    You got my attention about the LED tach! Sounds very intruiging. Keep us posted on your progess then, please? PD

2. jonathon

jonathon Member

I like your thinking here mate.

I'm real keen to change the display on my seca. I'm thinking a neat little LED lineup, i'll cut a piece of aluminium to line them up.

Can you explain the resistor that is required for the LED's?

Do you need one for each diode? or do you run them all through it?

cheers

keep us up to date

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

4. cturek

cturek Member

Jonathon:
    An LED needs to have a current limiting resistor in series with the voltage source to keep from damaging the LED. You size the resistor based on the electrical specs of the LED and the voltage you are going to feed it.

Rick:
    Thanks for the links. The circuit I found is very similar to the one you linked to. Mine uses the two LM3914 LED drivers but uses an LM555 as the high speed counter. (Jonathon, you don't see any limiting resistors because they are built into the LM3914 ICs) I like the one you linked to better because it gets it's trigger signal from the original tach wire that I already have but being unused. The circuit I'm building get's it's trigger inductively from a wire wrapped around a plug wire.

Here's a pic of the partially constructed circuit on the breadboard showing the two LED driver chips and the high speed counter chip. Pay no attention to the color of the LED's - they are just ones I had on hand and will be better selected if the circuit works.
    [​IMG]

5. 80slider

80slider New Member

Hi all: I'm new here and luv the site so far. lots of great info. I'm working on a friends "83 xj750. It had a round headlight on it and he took it off and had me put on a factory square one. The trouble I'm having is the headlight doesn't work and neither does the fog lamp. I checked the voltage and I'm only getting about 5-6volts to the plug. Could it be a major ground issue or am I missing somthing simple? Everything worked when he took the round headlight off....I've found stuff on the other way(square to round) but not this particular problem..
    thanks

6. jbreaithwaite

jbreaithwaite Member

Greetings All:
    I've removed my square headlamps for a round one months ago with out any issue, but I had still had the original cluster. I just removed the cluster for a mini speedometer with indicators and followed this write up and the wiring diagram from the manual to get all the indicator lights to work. Problem is the light will only come on when I turn the high beam switch on. But when it is off it shows voltage to the low beam wire. What in the world could I be missing or doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jason

7. jbreaithwaite

jbreaithwaite Member

Alright Gang:
    Still having my issue. Could the low beam of the light have gone out and only leaving the high beam to work? I thought it was all or none with these old lamps. But, if that could be the case I guess... I'm just lost since it is showing voltage to the low and then when I hit the switch for highs it shows voltage to that wire. But the light will only come on when High is engage.

ALSO,I took it to the car battery and hooked up the low wire, nothing. High wire and it is sunlight. Guessing bad lamp?
    Thanks all,

Jason

8. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Jason - sounds like a bad bulb to me also (there is a separate filament for both low and high beams). Did you get a round headlight with a replaceable H-4 bulb or is it a "sealed beam"-type of headlight? If not a H-4, you might want to get a replacement unit that has a replaceable bulb (similar to what was in the rectangular OEM headlight). Easier to replace; less expensive to replace; easy to find.

9. jbreaithwaite

jbreaithwaite Member

Zap, it was the lamp. It is the sealed type. Pain in the butt to replace. But done and working again.

Thanks!

JB

10. MadCowInk

MadCowInk Member

Awesome Cturek! This is one of the most useful posts I have come across on this site. The headlight/ tailight wiring worked out wonderfully when I installed my Acewell 3251. Just one question though, when all is said and done with that particular group of wires, I am left with a white wire that comes from the rectifier. Is that just a sensor wire that I can dead end, or does it need to attach to something else?

11. KERST4LIFE

KERST4LIFE Member

I wish I could see those pictures :(

12. vanone750

vanone750 Member

Nice post dude, this is exatly what I am working on right now. When you took the atari (that is the fairing right) I noticed you don't have the front turn signals on yet. Mine are mounted on the fairing bracket and I'm trying to find a way to remount those. Where did you get the headlight? I appreciate this post it will help me I know.

13. thorin

thorin Member

seriously dude,
    thanks so much for your post. i've wanted to remove my atari since i got the bike and was recently pushed into the deep end due to a failed speedo. here comes vapor speedo install, not too bad for someone who sees electronics as kryptonite. adding dashboard w/blinkers and neutral was definitely intimidating but your post and pics gave me the courage to press forward.
    1 monster energy drink later, everything works! well, kinda have to troubleshoot why my neutral lite stays on regardless of gear and i've not figured out my hi beam indicator lite yet but i've got blinkers, brake and running lights, headlight, and my bike starts....woohoo!
    thanks again.

14. thorin

thorin Member

update...
    everything works, PERIOD!
    i am the KING OF ALL ELECTRONICS!
    actually, i have a lot of ugly splices and dubious connections but who's asking anyway?
    tomorrow i'll solder the connections and fit w/shrink tube and such.
    i hope to post pics of my project soon so you guys can show off your jealous side.....

15. Ted

Ted Member

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... tml#343313

Bringing an old one back from the dead!!! :twisted:

I just followed the directions from this swap and it worked like a charm on my '82 XJ750 MAXIM (swapped for the factory round headlight from an '83 XJ1100). Only took my about 45 minutes.

I think some of the wiring is a little bit different on my model though because I couldn't get the rear foot brake to light up.

16. Lewis

Lewis Member

Same thing here. I think I found the right wire related to my rear foot brake. I've put some time on this last winter. I'm running out of time and hope to complete my wip next winter...

17. Fr0st99

Fr0st99 New Member

teddytedted I can't tell you how much time I have spent trying to figure out the wiring for the headlight/brake light over the last couple days. Once again you have saved the day!

Outstanding write-up. This post and the wire diagram have been bookmarked and saved along with a collection of other life savers from the Wizards!

You guys are my teacher, the forum my classroom, the threads my textbooks, and for the first time I love doing the homework!

18. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Member

I'm in the process replacing the rectangular set off my 82 with a set from an 85. The first thing I did was enlarge a wiring diagram. It sure is easier than using a magnifying glass.

102_5645.JPG

Then I identified all of the wires going into the new cluster.

102_5642.JPG

Now I'm identifying wires from the bikes harness, removing the connectors that don't match up (none of them do) and splicing into the new connectors. It's a little more complicated because I going to use the fuse block on the new cluster and eliminate the one under the seat.

102_5644.JPG
    Good luck.

19. willmarmnxj650

willmarmnxj650 Member

Is that the same for this little square ugly thing???

Attached Files:

20. willmarmnxj650

willmarmnxj650 Member

I would like to learn how to remove this box and relocate the key starter under neath the tank....could i just take it off shorten the wires and make a mounting bracket underneath my gas tank i want to know more before i start doing it i cant read them diagrams at all so if anybody had any pics of how there bikes are set up with minimal wiring with turn signals that would be awesome

Attached Files: