1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Historical musings on XJ bikes...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cgutz, Sep 23, 2016.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I am curious how popular these bikes were in their day. Were they major sellers? Were they rated and/or esteemed well by bikers and reviewers?

I bought mine in 1985, my first and only motorcycle. I didn't do any real research. An acquaintance owned a new XJ550, and the let me test ride it. Bought mine that week, but had nothing to compare it to. (I did test drive a Honda 500 Shadow, but it cost much more). I liked the looks of the bike, and still do.

I am surprised 30 plus years later to hear how many are still running. Even in my small town there is at least one other XJ running around.

It has been a long Friday and my mind wanders to things....

Edit...I meant to post this on the "Hangout" forum...sorry.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The XJ series was very popular overall, with the big problem being that there were just too many modles of motorcycle for people to choose from. That led to an eventual glut of Japanese motorcycles, import tariffs in the U.S., and discount sales of hold-overs for a few years.
    Yamaha was trying to beat Honda for sales volume and customer satasfaction, and they almost managed to.
    The XJ650 Seca regularly comes up as being one of the bikes that former owners wish that they have never sold, and that others wish they had bought new.

There's an article around here somewhere.....
    TECH TOPIC: The History of Yamaha

3. Alan63

Alan63 Active Member

I think the xj bikes were quite popular, in comparison to the competition , although motorcycle sales in general were lower shortly after the series introduction, due to a number of factors, recession of the 80's, fuel prices stabilizing increased insurance costs etc.

k-moe likes this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

From 81 to 83 all Japanese manafactures were accused by HD of "dumping" bikes on the US hense in 84 the US imposed a tarrif on bikes larger than 700cc and Honda came out with the NighthawkS of 700cc , and we wound up with all the fine 600cc class , Yamaha had the 84 700cc Maxim X and the Fzr 600 later ( my brother had both a Nighthawk S 86 and later a new 89 FZR 600) point is The Seca/ Maxim were quite popular be it a 550,650,750 and the later 700cc .I have several issues of British Motorcycle Mechanics magazine...a few road test seems bikes were popular in Europe to Germany for one. I talked to my local Yamaha dealer ...they sold them new..he said they sold quitea few especially they Seca 750 , so all in all still seems to be a few left out there.:)

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I live in a town in the middle of BFE, and even here there are a dozen XJs of one type or another running around regularly. There's even another Seca 750 in town.

Jetfixer likes this.
  6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

There's about 3 dozen of them around here......oh-wait----they're all mine. Except for Elliot----

jayrodoh and Jetfixer like this.
  7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I sold them new back in the day and 650 Maxim was a big hit.blows the mirrors of the 650 Honda and much more style than 650 Suzuki. 750 secas sold well couldn't keep red ones in stock. Had to get mine from another dealer cause we only had black ones left. 2 days after I pull her out of the box a kid walks into the showroom and looks a three black ones and said " Do you have a red one?". Sorry not in stock right now I replied. "So what about the red one outside!" That one is mine sorry(237 kilometres on it). Long story short he flashed a bunch of cash on me, and poof my seca was outa here! Just days before we got the news about the arrival of the 650 Seca!!! Bonus!!!!
    We started taking preorders and had 10 pre sold within days of confirmation from Yamaha Canada .Me first I told the other staff (who took the first 4)
    Found an old business card in my toolbox. Lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Jetfixer, Alan63, k-moe and 3 others like this.
  8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I'll take one if those brand new 650s if you still have one sitting around... color not important :D

Toomanybikes likes this.
  9. Toomanybikes

Have word of local repair shop that has an early non yics 650 seca in silver for sale going to have a look tomorrow.
    When it rains it pours, XJ bikes popping out of the woodwork right now

10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Awesome! In my post I said color not important, I was gonna add "but silver is my favourite!" Lucky dog!

11. Jetfixer

Mine has been repainted bright yellow...I love the color.

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You painted another one to match your 750seca? Look like a swarm of Giant Yellowjackets over there----

13. Jetfixer

My 71 Super Beetle is yellow and white...so I like yellow:rolleyes:

Toomanybikes likes this.
  14. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Interesting about 'hold overs', I bought my '83 brand new in '85 - one reason it was much cheaper than a new Honda. Got a real good deal.

15. Toomanybikes

Did you get a smokin deal on 50 gal of yellow paint? Not poking fun, my last new bike was yellow and black.

gav xj400 4bp h likes this.