1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hooking up electronic tach to 81’ wiring harness. 82 XJ650 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wgul, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wgul

wgul Active Member

Hey all. I have an 82 XJ650 maxim with an 81 wiring harness that works great so I’d like to keep the harness. It doesn’t have the tach connection so I’d like to connect the tach wires somehow to the harness running new wires. Any harness gurus out there that can guide me on where I can attach the 4 tach wires? Thanks !

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

tach.JPG connect gray wire to ignition coil gray wire you may have to solder it. black to ground and Br wire to signal fuse

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    wgul likes this.
  3. wgul

wgul Active Member

Excellent thanks very much

4. wgul

wgul Active Member

As you probably know the wires coming out of the tach are 4; orange blue black and brown. I think I’m good with the black and brown. Should I hook the blue to the ignition coil? Not sure where the orange goes.

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Brown is hot (12V) to the actual meter unit
    Blue is hot (12V) to the light bulbs inside the tacho case
    Orange is the signal from the TCI, it can go to either the Gray or the Orange wire leading to the ignition coil(s)
    Black is ground.

We offer a pre-made, plug-and-play harness to accomplish this conversion if interested:

Mechanical Tachometer Conversion:

All XJ550 models and the 1980-81 XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models use a mechanical (cable-driven) tachometer, while all other XJ-series bikes use a electrically driven (off the TCI box) tachometer.

We now have a TACHOMETER CONVERSION KIT that allows you to easily swap out your original cable-driven tach with the electrically driven tachometer that's found on 1982-83 XJ650 Maxim and 1983 XJ750 Maxim or Midnight Maxim models. These tachometers are commonly available used, and are the exact same size, shape, face design, and mounting configuration as the earlier cable-driven tachs. Our conversion kit allows you to perform a simple plug-and-play harness upgrade to allow you to interface the electric tach to your original wiring harness, with no splicing or cutting necessary!

HCP10017 Aftermarket mechanical-to-electrical TACHOMETER CONVERSION KIT contains an easy-to-install conversion harness, a tach drive housing block-off cap (HCP7521), and instructions, giving you all the parts you'll need to make a professional and correct change-over. Tach not included!

wgul likes this.
  6. wgul

wgul Active Member

Fantastic, thanks man!