1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. lanthren

lanthren Member

i googled 1980 yamaha maxim 650 parts, came across the sight, so i figured sign up so i can get in touch and talk with other xj owners

2. Jolly_rogger

Jolly_rogger New Member

i just did a google search on yamaha xj forum and i'm glad i did i get my first one this friday and i'm verry happy to join the group. thanks

3. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

I just typed in xj yamaha bikes and your site was on the first page of my search results

4. parts

parts Member

when i bought my bike it only had 23000 mils on it.
    i thought it was a great deal untill the local machanics said "sorry,its too old for us to work on".
    i don't recall HOW i found the site...all i know is it and the people on it saved my bikes life. literaly.

so thanks again to all.

5. Mick

Mick New Member

When I bought my XJ900N, the seller told me about this forum. Having been associated with other forums over the years I assumed XJ Bikes would be similar: not much substance, just Buy/Sell info. How wrong was I! This is the most comprehensive site I've seen. Not only is it full of technical gold, but the passion for the XJ is evident. Makes me think I've bought something special.... :)

6. FABFABINC

FABFABINC Member

WORLD WIDE WEB LOLOL
    Thanks to my 1983 xj1100 "awesome site btw"

7. xcyclerepair

xcyclerepair New Member

Hey all I found you on line for a search in hopes of find timing mark answers. I am fixing a friends bike for him but am unsure of timing marks to ensure the bike is in time.

I am a technician with 15 yrs of knowledge.

8. efigalaxie

efigalaxie New Member

Ye olde Google

9. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

Yahoo search. I was looking for info about the 550 actual displacement one day because I couldn't remember where it was stamped on these motors. Ended up seeing this site in the search and had used it a lot for info. Then ust figured it would be better to oin, contribute, and be one of the elite. Haha:)

10. treefort

treefort New Member

I found my way via google! I wanted to get a better idea of what I was doing pulling the rear wheel on my 83 750 Maxim and found it here.

11. lugg-nut

lugg-nut New Member

I came across this site when I did a google search for xj 550 bobber.

12. SovereignDragon

SovereignDragon Member

Google search for "yamaha xj650 forum" and I do advertize for the site.

13. non_quotidiun

non_quotidiun Member

I was googling around trying to find out stuff about my XJ 900 charging system problem. Saw some advice given to someone else to check out this site. This is just what I was looking for. Top marks to all involved.

14. coffee_brake

coffee_brake New Member

Google, searching for a Maxim forum. I'm not among the XJ owners...yet. I'm looking, and need more information about the XJ line. Like what inline fours Yamaha was making in the 80's, etc.
    Looks like a handy site!

15. Drœk

Drœk New Member

Hi XJbikes!

How did I get here?

I had seen quite a few XJs for sale in my area which prompted me to do a Google search. I have been in the market for a long time for a decent used UJM, (CB/GS/KZ etc.) and this forum served as my primary research means for the XJ models.

What made my decision a lot less daunting was the wealth of information available right here. It looks like I'll be in good hands with this community. I picked up a 1982 XJ 650 Maxim over the weekend.

I will likely be lurking a bit more until the weather warms up just reading and learning.

16. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I was actively involved in a motorcycle search on Craigslist. It seemed that all I was finding in my price range was Yamahas. I saw a Radian, several Viragos, and eventually a Maxim, for 600. I couldn't figure anything out about the bike like I could the other two, until I found that it was actually a XJ650J. Once I typed that into Google, XJBikes.com came right up. I still can't figure out where it says Maxim on the bike.

As to how I feel about the site and the Maxim. This site is the single most informative resource on a motorcycle I have seen since I started deciding on what bike to buy. It played a major role in my decision to purchase the Maxim, not just for the potential technical support but for the obvious passion that the bike brings out in the members here.

The bike was a basket case, and after only a few days, is still far from perfect. I'm a diesel mechanic in the Navy, and know enough about Otto cycle engines that this older, simple engine is cake to work on. I have a blast making it run better. When I got it, the intake boots were off, and there were straight exhaust pipes on it. The po had to run the enrichment circuit just to make it run. So I put the boots on. SERIOUS pinging in Cylinder 1. So I got some Seafoam and poured it everywhere. I mean in the crankcase, in the gas in a huge concentration (there was little gas in it), and through the spark plug holes to break up the deposits in there that are causing the detonation, and I cleaned and gapped the spark plugs. I set the idle screw a little high because it was needing throttle just to stay running. Last but not least, I set it on PRI to ensure the vacuum wasn't causing it to run out of gas in the float bowl (? hey, I know diesels, they don't have carbs, but I wanted to make sure that wasn't a problem).

Of course it wouldn't start, you kidding?

The engine was effectively flooded, so I just turned it over while occasionally ensuring that there was, in fact, a spark.

Eventually it started, without choke (it's warm here is SoCal), and idled, high, until I turned the screw down of course. It was surging B.A.D. Still don't know why. I decided to drive it to the end of the alley, where it promptly stalled (after idling for 10 min) and would not restart. Walked it back, jumped it for extra cranking juice, and tried to start it again. When it started, it had stopped surging, and the idle was a steady high rev. I needed gas, so I drove it 12 blocks to the nearest station. Lowered the idle after I got gas, and drove it around until dark.

Not bad for $600. Now to make it run better and look better.

I'm curious to everyone's thoughts. I know it doesn't run perfect, it is in serious need of a valve adjustment and I would be HIGHLY suprised if it didn't need a carb cleaning. What else is good to do on these bikes if they haven't been properly maintained?

Thanks for everyone's help. Without all the prior posts I would have had a much more difficult time at it.

1982 XJ650J Maxim, my first bike. I'm in love.

17. terceseht

terceseht New Member

I bought my 81 Seca 750 and started doing Google searches for just that. '1981 Yamaha Seca 750' Just trying to find more information about the bike and whatnot. Came across this site and BOOM! Fell in love. :)

18. hordave

hordave Member

Google, bought a couple of old xj1100s and I need to learn alot about everything.

19. abnab

abnab New Member

I am new to the "classic bike" scene, and have been compiling project bikes for a little while now. I have been looking to the "do the ton cafe" racer index (dotheton.com) for inspiration and project ideas. My first project bike is an 81 XJ 550 Maxim.
    I posted some pics at the start of my build which was just last week, and I immediately started getting feedback that I should come to this sight. I was told that the guys over here really know their stuff when it comes to XJ bikes, and so..... Here I am.
    I will do some lurking to learn my way around, and I plan on gaining as much advice as I can from the XJ gurus that I am told are here.
    This is gonna be a fun project! :D

Alan

20. JayEye

JayEye Member

I found this site by yahoo search over a year ago when I was looking for front and rear axle nut torque specs. For some dumb reason I didn't join then, oh yeah now I remember my Yamaha repair manual came in shortly after.

Shame on me, though I did remedy that mistake by joining up in Feb. after a couple fellow XJ'ers got on my case. I'm glad I did great group of people!!