1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. QuailsRun

QuailsRun New Member

Found it when i was on the hunt for more info and parts formy new Maxim 1982 xj750. Comes up in both Bing and Google. I'm glad I found it. I am a total motorcycle and mechanic newbie so I'm going to need all the help I can get!

2. aSECAwrencher

aSECAwrencher Member

My mom and dad were in love (at one point in time)... Then I grew up and fell in love with 70 and 80 series Jap bikes. First ride was a 80 XS850 Special. I'm still looking for a triple that's as cool as that one was. Fortunately I sold it off to a good buddy of mine that happens to be my roomate at this time, so the bike is back in my home garage.
    I found the site looking for info on my XJ9 project. Thought it would be a good idea to quit lurking and contribute.

3. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I doubt if any of us "got here" in that sense in any other way than that lol :D

Well I suppose there's always alien abduction/"probing" but I don't *recall* any members being 8 feet tall with green skin, 3 fingers & huge round black eyes lol

4. MidnightXJ

MidnightXJ New Member

Glad to be here! Found 2 83 XJ750's on craigslist here in Reno. Checked out the first one, it was in pieces and incomplete to boot. Too much work for me as I already have a project car I'm working on, but really wanted a summer ride. Second bike was a running midnight maxim with a blown front caliper. Got it for $500, did some parts research and here I am! Currently rebuilding the whole front brake system with parts help from XJ4ever.

5. TorontoXJ

TorontoXJ New Member

As a new member I found this site on Google while trying to get advice on how to revive an old XJ that I just purchased. Was surprised (pleasantly) to see what a great resource/community you guys have here.

Dave

6. Myro

Myro Member

was crusing CL looking for a quick flip found a car that turned out to be a bust and found a 81 xj750 for $250 with a bad 2nd but came with a new trans upon tearing into the bike ive found a lot more issues and now find my self here on this forums

7. GrooveJunkie

GrooveJunkie Member

Had been bikeless for three years. Money was there, and I wanted a vintage (by today's standard) bike that would be a capable commute sled and fun project.

Hit Craigslist with a $1000-1500 range, looking for nightwawks, when an XJ650 Seca popped up. I'm a sucker for "Island of misfit toys" type bikes, so I was drawn to it, given the relative rarity.

I found this place while looking for reference and part resources post-purchase.

8. drago

drago New Member

search for
    xj600 forum uk
    in google.com
    i first position he give a xjrider.com., who is a not good thing, because seems in that is very small member counter, and as so is difficult get good advice, and then i found this forum. it likes good with activity.

9. MarkV

MarkV Member

I found it through google. I was researching xj550 bobbers, to get ideas for my own project. The site has helped, I contacted a member to get info on his xj bobber. Thanks for this site.

10. KatherineJaneIII

KatherineJaneIII New Member

I traded an old Honda XL175 Enduro for an '85 XJ700X - and I found this site when deciding I needed to learn more about how to fix it!! I LOVE this site, and the people are helpful and awesome!! I have since been able to clean the carbs, bought parts, found helpful advice on how to go about doing my own valve adjustment - and did it!! I ended up restoring the bike and repainting it - and now it runs better than ever, and LOOKS BETTER THAN EVER ! ! I absolutely LOVE IT ! ! It's the best bike I've ever owned!! Not bad for a GIRL, huh?? ; )

11. UK550Maxim

UK550Maxim Member

I got myself an XJ in the UK and the realized how difficult it was to get parts and find people that knew much about them. It didnt take long online before Google introduced me to this site. Can't say how useful it has been and has led me to follow suite and make a bobber like some of your other members. Being my first proper bike and being a bit old and tired, she was in need of lots of work and this site has made it possible for me to take on jobs that I would have otherwise had no idea how to tackle. This site is absolutely great! I would welcome a UK corner though, I know it has been discussed before but it would help foster a group of people that could lend YICS tools and meet up etc.....

12. AndyXJ

AndyXJ New Member

I bought a basket case, on a whim, from eBay. Found this site after a Google search.

Later in the year, when I actually start my build, I'll introduce myself and my bike properly :D

13. William_fudge-81

William_fudge-81 New Member

I love this site. Hands down.
    I bought my 1981 xj650 max last Aug. and from then on have been goggling
    Every thing I want and or need to know, and 90% of the time XJ Forum comes up!!! With great pics and answers. And a awesome group of people who seem to really want to help each other. I am new to forums and have some difficulty navigating it on my iPhone witch is why I have no prior activity, but you guys rock and are worth the frustration it takes to learn, I look forword to posting my pics and getting everyone's input. Thanks to you and Google for bringing me here.

14. Beck

Beck Member

I found the site via Yahoo search engine. Every time I had an issue, I'd surf and find someone here with the same problem and an educated answer. Pics and all :)
    A friend gave me his bike, because even after handing a bunch of money to a local dealership it just wouldn't idle right. I am very grateful to have found you guys here. I didn't know if it was worth buying a manual. You guys showed me how check the valves and set up the carbs. She runs like a dream, in the driveway now. I think she's going to be a sweet ride.

15. XJ11red

XJ11red New Member

I've been trolling since I bought my cursed 1982 XJ1100 Maxim by the way I can't sell it because the brakes are junk and I just spent $150.00 on Ebay for caliper rebuild kits, new pads and various parts to try and remedy the problem. There was a string on here about the spooge hole but I can't find it now, and I guess there is no rebuild kit for the rear MC? It's nice bike but has spent most of it's 18k miles of life setting in the barn. Hope to get it back on the road this summer if I can. Any brake info is greatly appreciated. I don't want to modify it, I just want it to work. So Thanks for any future help.

16. nycxj750

nycxj750 Member

Hi, Just joined this month. I bought a 1982 yamaha 750 SECA and while it runs... it's definitely has alot of work coming its way.

I will try to ge tup to speed about how the forums work and try to not post stupid questions... but can't promise I'll always filter the stupid questions.. so my apologies in advance.

17. Spotman

Spotman New Member

Hi, just joined. I had my first XJ600, an 87 model, back in the early 90s. Now I've just (two days ago) bought my second, a '91 model.

I found this site whilst searching for XJ600 bits, and am now going to search for advice on the throttle return spring...

18. Ari_Gold

Ari_Gold New Member

well my old man had a maxim x rotting in the back yard. I finally put it in the garage and started working on it.

during my search for parts a came across this in google.
    i dont remember what i was looking for but i think something to do with the carbs.

19. YourHero

YourHero New Member

Well I Was Researching Seca's Before I Bought One And Came Cross This Site. Good Stuff!

20. Trusty

Trusty New Member

Did a google search before I went to purchase a Maxim, deal fell through so I kept reading and in no time I found another. She is now in my Garage.