1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. XJAaronRay

XJAaronRay New Member

this site was passed to me by my father, as i have his bike now and still looking for parts to restore it.

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  2. andrewc

andrewc Member

I'm pretty sure I just typed in "1982 seca 650 parts" on yahoo and searched through the sites it gave me.

3. coopaloop

coopaloop New Member

Bought a 1980 xj650 because it was the first road bike I rode with my father (which was his) on the tank with and brother and sister on the back. Then I googled xj650 and got this site

4. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Bought the original (?) XJ Owners information repository (ON CD, shipped THROUGH THE MAIL), lol. I'm not even old enough to say such things, but it did happen. That was in 2004? Then eventually made my way to the website. This is probably an insanely stupid question, but who was it who was selling those things anyway? Was that SnoSherrif?

5. Max

Max New Member

Google on the third page. Was checking how to distinguish between a maxim and midnight through vin numbers. Was very interesting so joined.

6. DanG69

DanG69 New Member

7. William Thompson

William Thompson Active Member

I got here in the midst of searching how to get my bike fixed up. I appreciate that there is so much knowledge and so many resources here for repairs/maintenance. Can't see that there are many other places to get a lot of this. (E.g.: Not really any other competing forums for XJ's)

8. oifriendlyfire

oifriendlyfire New Member

Hello! Oi here. I bought an XJ750K Maxim last weekend, and the guy I bought it from said he got some outstanding advice from this board. I thought I'd check it out. So far, I've spent about 3 hours scanning the threads. I've learned quite a few do nots, and dos...So, it's time well spent! I'll get a little past the point I'm at now on my project to start posting things about her. Thanks for the info! This is an amazing resource for all things XJ!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  9. maine.saint

maine.saint New Member

I a considering a 1982 Seca XJ 750. I am a tad hesitant to get a 32 year old motorcycle. So I thought I'd check the forums and see what people have to say.

Took it out for a spin tonight. Goes great. Needs a new battery. Stripped down a bit, no mirrors or turn signals (registered as an antique). Has extra hard bags and rear middle luggage bag, and wind faring. And an extra motor that was apparently working. He got it with the extra motor. He repainted it (but not the bags...) and replaced the handlebars so it's more of a cafe racer feel.

$1700.

Anything I should be thinking about with this? I'll check that he has title (forgot to ask)...

Do you have to tinker a lot with these? I have an old house that is my project. I just want a bike that goes. Should I consider this or look elsewhere????? Thanks for any input!

10. maine.saint

maine.saint New Member

Replying to myself... found the Information Overload Hour... going throught that...

eta-awesome info in there

11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

It's a 33 year old machine. There will be work. It will be somewhat enjoyable work, for the most part. The work will make you love your ride even more. You may learn about motorcycles, and even yourself!

12. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

I googled "Yamaha Seca 750 Forum". I'm the original owner of my Seca 750 but I haven't ridden it in years--home, job, wife, car, other motorcycle, I'm sure many of you know how things get in the way. That said, the bike looks great as its always been garage kept. The only glaring deficiency is rust on the inside walls of the gas tank. I finally decided to find out what to do about it--and the botched attempt to resin coat it about ten years ago--which brought me to this hopefully helpful site. As old as these bike are and with all the years of ethanol in our gas, I'm sure I'm not the first to face this problem. Anyway, here is a pic of what she looks like. I've got the emblems and mirrors. Everything is stock except the pipes which I replaced after the originals rusted.

[​IMG]

13. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Good looking bike.

Gary H.

14. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Wow. That is clean! It looks brand new! Envious.:Blackalien

15. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

Thanks! I had it painted about 10 years ago and its basically been under cover in my garage ever since. Like I said, the tank has surface rust inside and I botched a job trying to seal it back then and now that is pulling loose. Any ideas on tank remedies?

16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Caswell epoxy liner, or POR 15. The previous attempt was probably with Kreem (which is crap). The big thing is to follow the directions for removing the old liner, and for prepping the tank for the epoxy liner. TAKE NO SHORTCUTS.

17. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

Now that you mention it, I think it was Kreem. The old liner is in taters and apparently I didn't get it all the way up to the top of the tank. Crap product and crap application--wonder why things turned out like crap? I'll check out the POR 15! Thanks!

18. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

Image looks broken, so I'm reposting it for you. And you're right: she's beautiful.
    [​IMG]

19. ksigurdsen

ksigurdsen Member

I googled a YICS tool, XJ4ever linked me to the forum. It's great to know there are still many Seca and Maxim bikes in running condition.

20. Bluestar

Bluestar New Member

I found it while googling xj750j, poof, there you were.