1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. yamason

yamason Member

I used Google search for " Yamaha Maxim 650". Was searching for some exhaust information. Read some and joined as a member.

2. beeker73

beeker73 New Member

I just got here today. I Googled and found Dave's XJ page (I'm sure most of you know it), ordered the CD, printed the info on tuning carbs and building the YICS, then checked out the links and here I am.
    I bought a 1982 XJ750J about 5 years ago, rode it for 2 summers and have let it sit since then (shame on me :evil: ). It needs some serious work I think. Judging by what I've read here and on Dave's page, the carbs have needed tuning since I bought it from the dealer.
    Once I get the CD, I will start doing some work on it and I'm sure I will be looking up lots of things and asking lots of questions.
    So far, this looks like an excellent site. Thanks for having me.

3. PSteele

PSteele Member

At my age, it's hard to say for sure - Google, Dave's page, looked around at many sites and stumbled upon this one. Stayed in tune for a few weeks and it seemed to fit. Love the site.

4. Timetonut

Timetonut Member

I was looking up repair info for my XJ550 Used google to find out about tach cable repair. Found the forums really fast and have been blown away by all teh great information here. I live in the city so I have no garage to work in so I am severely limited on what I can do on my own.

Timetonut
    j0~

5. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

I bought my first XJ650 back in April of this year. The bike was in pretty good shape which allowed me to ride right from the get-go. It needed just some superficial cosmetic items (such as matching mirrors), but all-in-all a really decent bike for $750. The Ebay gods provided me with a Yamaha Factory Service Manual in mint condition. Huge help, but, as anyone who's ever read a factory service manual can attest too, they're not written for the novice mechanic. (Ed. Note: I'm not a novice mechanic in general, just with respect to motorcycles.) And I quote...
    In other words, if you're a mechanical moron, this book will not save you. It should have stated on the cover, "Common sense not included."

But, hey... my bike ran, so I wasn't worried. I've got tons of mechanical skills working on cars, trucks, boats, diesels. I've worked in the auto parts industry for around 15 years. I'd figure it out. No worries, right?!?

And then... We decided my wife needed her own XJ. I got a real deal (pronounced, "S-C-R-E-W-E-D") on Craigs List: An '82 XJ650J with 13k on the clock for $360. Here's a tip for you: If you go to look at a bike, don't do it at dusk. The dim sunlight hid a multitude of problems... that and all the spiders. My wife wouldn't go near it until it was thoroughly fumigated. Needless to say, this bike was going to need LOTS of work to make it a runner.

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what led me to XJBikes.com. I needed more than what the factory manual could provide, i.e. answers. Like, "Why is the crankcase full of gasoline?" or "Is there suppose to be a fire in the air box?" I looked in the service manual's index, its glossory, and even the trouble flow charts... NOTHING!

I needed real help and fast! The wife's getting her endorsement in a week and she's itchin' to ride! With the great tutorial on rebuilding carbs by RickCoMatic, I think we're in good shape. The amount of useful, real-world information here is priceless. XJBikes.com is a valuable asset to any XJ rider. Heck, if I could figure out how to put this site into that little tool caddy under the bike seat, I would!

6. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

I needed some help and the internet is a great resourse.
    Got me through the bad times.
    Thanks for the help all

7. ramen

ramen New Member

found on Google.

Community has helped me already just from browsing the site.

Looking forward to getting much information from you folks.

8. gcintron87

gcintron87 New Member

i was asking for information about my bike in another forum when one of the members there told me about this site.

I came here and now im happy... thanks xjbikes! *smiles and high five* lol

9. XVFinishes

XVFinishes Member

I found the site looking for a honda cb750K site

10. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

I just now discovered this forum by following a link from pnwriders.com. I'll intro myself in my own thread.

11. redduck

redduck New Member

I googled xj 400 and found a link for your forum. Glad I did. Had previously found a forum for Yamaha Owners Club, but they have a wider range of bikes, hardly any for xj's

12. argh1961

argh1961 Member

Found it while looking for parts for my newly acquired (FREE, no less) '81 550 Maxim. First bike, so have been lurking for a bit and gotten some good info already. Looking forward to more good stuff! :D

13. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

I found like most people did, Google searching for parts and information on my 82 650 Maxim

14. kooKyGuY

kooKyGuY Member

I was looking for a bike using google and found this. I rode a 1982 XJ750 Maxim full time for 10 years and was hoping to find another one. The one I had was in great shape when I got it, except for it had sat out in the rain for at least a year. Still wasn't bad to pay $400 for it and ride it for 10 years. It had about 7,000 miles on it when I got it. It had over 50,000 when the odometer stopped working, and I rode it for a few years after that. I am excited to have found the exact same model bike. Hopefully I will be the owner of it and should be around here more soon. :)

15. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

Considering I belong to a few automobile forums online, it was only common sense to try and locate a forum for my xj 650 and it's siblings.

16. miksatx

miksatx Member

hummm flustration brought me. did a search on yahoo found this place. i own a 80 maxim i bought new in 80. for some stupid reason i can't remember back in 97 i parked it, took off the carbs unhooked the starter switch relay pulled out the headlight and left apart till last month.
    so now i'm wanting to get it running. hope to find help here.

17. rescue76

rescue76 Member

Found a link here from yamahaclub.com

18. bluzglide

bluzglide Member

>>I’m curious to hear how you guys found XJBikes? <<

I found it by searching for Yamaha Seca forums. Glad I found it too. Looks like a lot of good info here and lots of folks to talk to.

Dave

19. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

Regular ol' google search for 'xj 550'

20. charger8609

charger8609 New Member

We just bought my 82 XJ 550 Maxim, and googled XJ Bikes to find some info/help to get it running....So far I'm glad we found this forum!