1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How far do xj650 seca go?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Carl LaFong, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

This past summer I picked up an 82 with 40k (24000 mil es). How long do these bikes run without major problems? I really like how this thing runs and handles. Funny in 1982 I almost bought a new one but was unsure if it was a winner or a weaner! I have put on 640km on it and I like it more and more. We of course know if it has tits or tires their is trouble down the road.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

as long as you do the oil changes and shim adjustnents and keep the carbs clean 60k plus miles is easy.
    problems that may come along will be chain guide or starter clutch failure when one goes replace both.
    change out the fuse glass to blade style box to eliminate pesky electrical problems.
    do yoye maintance and you will just have to deal with things that fail with milage brakes wheel bearings ect

3. DaygloDavid

DaygloDavid Active Member

My 1980 XJ650 (UK) has done 52,000 miles without any major problems. From new, the oil & filter has been changed every 2,000 miles or less, depending on the time period. For the last 20,000 miles, I've been checking the valve clearances myself and never had to make any adjustments. Before that, I don't recall having many shims replaced. The carbs have been stripped & cleaned once, they weren't dirty, more a precaution than anything else. The fuse box is still the original with glass fuses. The front discs (rotors) had become warped causing the brakes to judder, changed for EBC, OEM not available. The wheel bearings were fine, but for the cost of them, they were recently knocked out & replaced.

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

My xj650rjc has 50,000 k and my Xj750rl has almost 100,000k and still runs fast as I want it to.

k-moe likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

One of the members from the UK ran his 750 for well over 100,000 miles before retiring it from his job as a courier. It was still running well.

6. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Xj550h

Is the chain you refer to the cam
    chain?

7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

He is referring to chain that turns secondary shaft for starter clutch and generator
    Chain #22
    Guide # 23

Attached Files:

8. Andyam5

Andyam5 Member

Just hit 50k on my 1981 UK (Seca) bike, I ride it around 15 hundred miles/year and it gets a proper service each spring, replacing parts as necessary.
    Use it all year round for commuting and fun, apart from snow days and it stands outside in all weathers. No major problems yet but thinking of getting something newer so I can strip and rebuild the XJ, it deserves it

Franz and Simmy like this.
  9. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Bike is getting under my skin in a good way .. Things done of late: ss brake lines, soliniod, wheel bearings, brake shoes, balance carbs, give windshield , oil filter, headlight modulater , etc . Long cold winter!

good to hear from high milers I think this is a keeper for me.