1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How fast have you gone on you're xj?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by joshwxj, Apr 14, 2008.

1. fazerkid78

fazerkid78 New Member

I just got a ticket for doing 92 in a 55. Fml

2. day7a1

day7a1 Member

55....according to the broken speedo...

3. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

I think I hit about 2mph as I wheeled her to the curb so she could be taken to the shop. FML

4. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Are you just plain stupid, or do you want to be a statistic and a white cross on the side of the road?

Fastest I've ever been on any bike is maybe 80... and that's on the freeway keeping up w/ traffic....

5. xjdaver

xjdaver Member

I ordered a rocket from ACME strapped it to the bike and did 500 IAS!!!

On the Seca, around 100 mph. I kept accelerating past the peg at 85 so it's just a guess.

On the Connie 105. Completely smooth.

On the XR650, 80 mph, and I only went that fast because I couldn't wait to get off the bike, it's medievel torture riding that thing for long.

6. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

Hell I'm scared to go on the freeway LOL

7. paulcman

paulcman New Member

I got up to 85 on the highway with my XJ700N... Not sure I would ever want to go any faster, on any bike!

8. doc2029

doc2029 Member

When I was doing 90 MPH thinking I was doing 75 MPH it didn't bother me at all. The wind however was a different story!

9. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

pegged the OEM speedo. 5th gear with the seca's 18" rear wheel and the tach showing 11k. that works out to what? roughly 130?
    since having put on a nicer speedo (I think from an old XS, tops around 140) I've only briefly done the ton. No salt flats style highspeed bombs. Kinda tough to find that much straight road around this part of the country which is nice. much more fun wandering twisties in my neck of the woods.

To jmilliken and the rest, you can keep the money that'd be spent on a roadside cross and donate it to BACA instead. "quality > quantity" is what I want I my urn.

10. BillB

BillB Active Member

11. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Member

I've done just over 70mph on my bobber on some back country roads. That is fast enough. Feels like I'm going to get blown off this bobber with the ape hangers.
    [​IMG]
    I am sure I will try faster especially if I get it out on a highway. I can't imagine it will be much more due to the aerodynamics and the fact that I don't want to be blown off the bike. I can deffinitely feel that this engine can do a lot more.

12. pbjman

pbjman Member

At least your pits will be aired out and stay fresh :D

I've only gone up to 75 on mine, and that was only for a short spurt with wide open space on both sides of the road. Seen too many youtube helmet-cam videos of kamikaze deer jumping out from the weeds & trees.

13. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Member

Deffinitely on my mind all the time. I knew of a guy who ended that way. I will not be riding at all after September. I hit/was hit by a deer on my way to work and then on my way home (in my car) on the same day. Absolutely no damage, but would have been totally different on a bike.

14. pygmy_goat

pygmy_goat Member

I figure I did about 120 flat out on the fwy. That's measured with the OEM speedo. You run out of gear, is the problem. But it also seems to run out of power about there anyway, if you have bags and things. With another gear I bet you could squeeze out a few more.

15. Altus

Altus Active Member

Well - by the stock speedo I've been up to 210 km/h (130 mph) -- back when I was young and quite a bit lighter than I am now :) Track days are fun for that - wish I had GPS back then to see if it was any kind of accurate.

16. strange246

strange246 Member

Many moons ago on my 83 Turbo, I was racing a friend on a GPZ 750 on rte 128 in MA, both wide open, pretty much side by side, came up over a rise and found a Suburu going maybe half as fast in his lane maybe 2 car lengths in front of us, guy pulled in front of me to get out of the way, I assume he saw my friend and not me, I JUST made it around the side of the car without hitting him... when we stopped I asked my friend if he noticed how fast we were going as my 85 mph speedo was buried, he said he saw 125 as we started up the hill....The Turbo was factory rated at 126 top speed...

17. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

That's a good one, first thing out of my mouth would have been "Did you shit your pants too"? :roll: :roll:

18. doc2029

doc2029 Member

LOL, my on going issues with my speedo, anyway installed a 12V adapter and can power my iPhone now. Using my speedo app, I found out that when I though I was going 55 I was going 65. So lately my daily commute I've been going about 80 MPH not the 70 I thought. Also, which means I've gone about 105 by my calculations

19. strange246

strange246 Member

LOL He didnt s**t himself but he had to sit down on the curb and have a cigarette with very very shaky hands LOL

Ryan

20. thorin

thorin Member

according to my vapor gauge, i tapped 99 on a recent trip to the 4 corners area. don't really like speeds above 80 but sometimes you gotta pass!