1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How fast have you gone on you're xj?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by joshwxj, Apr 14, 2008.

1. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

I'm necro-ing this thread because I just had a 'quick' weekend. Looking forward to touching the 'ton', but last weekend I got the 650 Max up to the 150Kph range and she was still looking to pull (no problems keeping up to an 1100 Shadow). Noticed a bit of a vibration (not a speed wobble I wouldn't think), going to pull the front tire and size up the front end... That speed is pretty nuts on an open-air bike, W-I-N-D-Y!

2. RSpark

RSpark Member

My speedometer only goes up to 80 however If I hit the gas and stay on it About 2 min after I hit the 80 mark the speedometer cable snaps.

3. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

I've had both of my bikes to 110 mph. On my 750 the speedo only goes to 85 so I gauged it by how fast my buddy was going on his gsxr. The speedo on the 700x goes to 140 although I wouldn't try it. I don't think it has enough gear to get there anyway.

4. oilheadron

oilheadron Member

Bumped into one of my customers at the pizza place last night. Hadn't seen him in a while so I asked him if he was still riding. "Nope, I got tagged for doing 196 (mph) in a 55 zone so I had to sell the bike." This was on a Honda VFR750. :p This is the same nut who didn't like his bike to get too cold outside in the wintertime so he would leave it idling ALL NIGHT LONG.

Another guy: "Back then I had one of them Kamasaki sebbum-fittys that would run 2 HUNDERT AND FORTY-SEBBUM MILES AN AR."

You can't make this stuff up.

5. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

I think I topped out at 38 mph the other day - yeah I know but I had a tail wind too

6. RSpark

RSpark Member

only 38 mph?????

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

That sounds abo8ut right.......those snow tires don't let you go as fast. Especially with 4 inches of snow on the roads.

I gotta say, you guys are all nuts for going over the speed limit. Anyone who does that is out of their mind. The fastest I've ever been was just over 100mph on my 900rk. It's ridiculously fast, and I can take it from 0 at my drive, do 100 past my mother-in-law's house at the other end of the field, be back down to 0 and turn around before I reach the rise in the road where the cops like to peg everyone. Of course, I ONLY do that once or twice a summer to make sure the carbs are all clean.......(TIC)

dave f

8. nevrhadthisprobwithamals

nevrhadthisprobwithamals New Member

In 1982 I bought a 1981 XJ 650, pre yics. It was one of the first XJs in England apparently. I got it second hand with a 1000 miles on the clock. A friend had a similar bike coincidentally. His was red, mine silver. The bikes were noticeably quicker than the yics versions at the time. A friend had a Yamaha dealership and this perplexed him v much. The red bike was quicker than mine both top end and acceleration. I saw an indicated 128 ish which would probably be about 115 to 120 I imagine. The most memorable thing performance wise was wringing its neck red lining through the gears and the front wheel hovering an inch or so off the road in first or second. (this was a necessity, not messing about I was trying to avoid a dope in a speeding car.) As an aside, I regularly got over 60 mpg thats imperial gallons, not U.S. The lowest on a high speed run was 28 mpg. The 84 750 Seca we have now, the speed limit of 70 is fast enough thank you!

9. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

Fastest I ever went was at Willow Springs Raceway.. 1:34 lap time which translates out to an average speed of 96 MPH... Nothing like diving into turn 8 at Willow in 6th gear and pegging redline.. Also used to drag race at Brotherhood raceway in Wilmington/Long Beach and had the best time of 11.7 at 104 MPH on a slightly built seca 550/fj600 engined bike.. Yes both the seca 550 and the FJ and FZ 600 engines had 6 speeds and essentially used the same cases.

Sean

10. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Used to race there all the time your bike is almost as fast as my car 12.7 107 maybe you have seen me there was there a lot from 84-92

11. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

That's a clean looking sleeper Cutlass -

That was back when the track was all bumpy. They since laser-surfaced it dead-smooth.