1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How high do you rev?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Speedwagon, Aug 2, 2006.

?

How high do you rev?

1. 0-3k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3-6k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 6-9k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. BURY THE NEEDLE!

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. hessenr00ts

hessenr00ts Member

With fall coming I'd suggest a trip to Northern Minnesota for the fall colors.

I've seen it at least 500 times and I still find it breathtaking.

Once you get north of Duluth you can see clear into Canada and it's nothing but a sea of greens, yellows, reds and oranges rolling across the hills. Then to your right you see Lake Superior, and on a clear day you can see the upper peninsula of Michigan just on the edge of the horizon...amazing stuff.

Mark Twain once said, "The coldest winter I've ever experienced was a summer in Duluth"...he's not too far off either :p

2. thefox

thefox Member

I have yet to burry the tach, but I did hit 10,500 the other day. Normaly I don't over rev but sometimes it's just fun.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I have DYNA Rev-limiter on my 900. She's got 58,000 on her. I limit her wind-out to 87-50.

I've been tachin'-up the 750 Max. It ain't all tweaked yet. But, with the clutch a bit too loose on the grab ... I've still managed a few 75-hundred and an 8-grand or two.

I figure ... having just putting on the 12,000th Original mile on her, the other day ... she's still young-at-heart ... and wants to play. But, her DYNA limiter is here, in the package -- I plan on limiting her to 74-50 when I put it on.

4. Speedwagon

Speedwagon Member

Yea, I've buried both the needles on my bike. Don't know how fast I was going, but it was north of 85! Wasn't revved out though. But she gets to scream almost everytime I ride, usually in 2nd. You get to 70 pretty fast if you wind out 2nd gear! :)

5. robista361

robista361 Member

I had my 97 yzf 1000 r pinned at 170mph afew times on a nice stretch of interstate. The bike was rock solid all the way to the top till the rev limiter started cutting power.

6. Monster

Monster New Member

Somewhere in the red. I shift when it quits pulling.

7. ROBBY

ROBBY Member

the speedos only go to 85 because in the 80's the feds thought they were easier to read with less numbers on them. cars were the same way.

8. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

On a normal run to work I usually run about 5500 rpm @ 75 mph (cant remember the exact #'s)
    But I've found a power band that starts to open up at about 6k and I've never taken it over 8k (remember this engine sat for 10 yrs and I'm trying to loosen it up slowly)
    When someone asks my bike, size theyre usually surprised to find out it's only a 700 cc, because it runs out so strong and that engine jus looks bigger. :p
    I also love the curves and laying her over in a tight turn, and coming out fast and smoooooth.
    What I dont like is riding with my feet on my cruise peggs for any extended time at all (30 min max) seems my seat isn't built right......... or maybe I'm not built right any more. :evil:
    My speedo goes up to 135 mph and I bet she'll do it too! :twisted:
    These bikes are built to run and I can see the great affinity people have for them!! In fact when I first insured mine I was afraid the insurance man was going to charge me for a sport bike...... DONT TELL him!! :roll:

9. welderflame

welderflame Member

I have flirted with the redline in fifth gear while following my friend on his FJ1300 at around 135mph on a closed road not really shure how fast it was going too busy to look :) :p

10. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

These bikes have so much heart, it's a good thing that there isn't another gear or the speedometer would have had to go to 180!!!!

Really though I do wish there was another gear! :wink:

11. JPXJ

JPXJ Member

On my daily commute I try to keep it below 4500 - there is so much pull down there it's not hard at all. On the way home I try to work all the way up to 8000 before shifting - the noise is fun. ;')

Plus I have this theory that running a bit hard daily within the limits will keep both bike and rider young.

And it's better to blow a gasket at the end of the day on the way home than at the start of a Monday.

12. AdeXJ

AdeXJ Member

Top speed on XJ900F was two years ago travelling through Europe with missus on pillion and fully loaded Krauser panniers.

Topped 140mph in Germany, but needed to stop every 40mins for fuel.

Did 180 kmh last week on XJ750D before backing off at 7.5K revs (still tinkering with it).

My average revs before changing is approx 4-6K, with the occasional spurt up to redline (9.5K) when conditions allow.

Both are shaft drive with a smooth(ish) rev range usually.

13. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

with all this talk about the speedo only going up to 85, is it possible to put on a speedo that goes higher? it would kind of be nice to know how fast your actually going when above 85....

14. AdeXJ

AdeXJ Member

I think it is possible -

check http://home.netcom.com/~rvtucker/Seca.html - this guy has some speedo pics of the seca's

The UK speedo goes up to at least 150Mph, while my 750 (Jap import) has a digital readout which appears to be unrestricted (but does flash a warning light if you go over 83kmh).

15. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Yep, Us Aussies have decent speedos as well.

My 550 speedo goes up to 240

KPH :wink:

16. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Kaneson, If you find one for an 85/86 xj 700 it will go up to 135 mph.
    I don't think I personally need more than that. But that's up to you of corse.

I've seem them on e-bay from time to time, they are usually sold as a set tach and speedo

Also have you been to Bob's used cycle parts in Phx yet?
    They have parts galore!!
    Bob's Used Motorcycle Parts
    1325 E Elwood St
    Phoenix, AZ 85040-1255
    (602) 243-4241

I think the phone# has changed, and they arent too good with phone sales

17. Speedwagon

Speedwagon Member

I would LOVE to get a new speedo that goes up higher! Partly because it's getting hard to read higher than 55 at night now.. the red has faded to white, so it all blends together! But I always hated that 85mph speedo! I need that 150mph speedo!

18. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

19. Torren

Torren Member

Most of the time i don't get much higher then 6k, but when im feeling squirrely or im trying to keep up someone on a much larger bikie i'll take it up to 10k on every shift.

Winding out 1st gear is a blast but you have to watch that tach like a hawk, 10k comes up mighty fast.

20. LoDollarDave

LoDollarDave Member

Speedwagon - try to find a Speedo from a Canadian XJ - the 82 Seca 750 caps at 220 kph (140 mph). Of course, you'll have to put up with your primary display being in kph, but what the heck, 110 kph sounds so much better than 70mph.

Personal best on my bike was 175 kph (115mph) - she was willing to do more, but front end stability was rapidly declining due to a strong cross wind and a crappy front tire. I'm gonna try for more once I get the main jet dialed in now that I have a new skin up front.