1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How long can you ride?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by lostboy, Aug 2, 2021.

1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

How long can you ride before needing to stop and take a break? Include distance and time. If you want to tell your age that's up to you. Remember boosting will get you nowhere

2. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

About 100 miles for me 2 hours is max and im 60. I dont think thats bad for a semi old fart. Back in 82 took a trip from st. louis mo to houston tx, only stoped for gas or food.

ksigurdsen likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

depends on which seat is under my butt. I have a nice 90mile run and a 120 mile run I like
    90 mile is wide twisting road through the notches just under 2 hours. 120 mile run is a freshly paved road through the woods along the river lots of curves and risies 3 hours.

rebuild those seats

4. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

I don't know about how long I can, but I'd say about 2 hours is the most I'd want to without some sort of break.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Enjoyable riding or must riding? Yes a tank, stop fill and rest and another tank is good. I did a Iron Butt on a Seca that was a "must" ride when I was coming off of leave when I was in the service. Loave the Maxim and Seca's but for shorter trips and playing on.

6. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

When I was 40 years old I could ride till the tank was nearly empty about 200 km. Now I'm 50 I have to stop about every hour or so. Just getting off the bike for a few minutes is refreshing.

7. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Lots of busy roads with lots of small towns here so maximum of 2 hours and about 80 miles. 55 now but when I was 35 it was about the same.

8. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Depends on how much coffee I have before I start out; I'm generally good for an hour plus, from my house to Hogfiddles is about 90 miles, I'm 67

9. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I loved the look of the XJ700 seat when my son gave the bike to me. Unfortunately it begins to feel a lot like concrete after a couple of hours @ 64 yrs. old.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I will be 60 soon. I do about 120 miles.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use a tip from when I used to play golf. When I know it's going to be a long ride I take a few Advil first or Tylenol and then go ride

Timbox likes this.
  12. short_circutz

short_circutz Active Member

When I was younger, in abt 2003, I rode from Sault Ste Marie, ON, Canada to Owensville MO on my 83 XJ650 Maxim. Left here at around 10pm, stopped at a motel in the first town I came to in WI for a snooze. Then rode the following day from abt noon, until I arrived in Owensville, about 24 hrs later. Stopped for fuel when needed and for meals only, other than a stop on Rte 66 just before coming into St Louis for lunch to wait out a torrential downpour, as visibility was a HUGE issue.

Bike ran flawless the whole trip.

And, I was travelling solo.

13. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    If riing for the sake of riding I go about 2 hours. If riding to go somewhere I generally ride out a tank of gas. Example, summer house in NY to winter house in NC is 604 miles and 2 ish tanks, about 12 hours. I'm 65, writing that part hurt....

14. scoobydew

scoobydew Member

About to take a ride from New York City to Brighton, Michigan. About 700 miles. I hope to make it there in one day rather than split it into two. But I'm sure I'll have to make quite a few stops. Maybe every 100 miles or so to give the buns a rest. I drove from NYC to Albany and only really stopped for gas or the bathroom and that was painful. About 150 miles.

15. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

bout 2 hours or 2 tanks, 700n, - 65

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i did saranac lake ny to pittsburhg in my younger days on a bmw, 550 miles. i thought i did permanent damage to my ass

17. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Polock, I did almost exactly the same distance 'in my younger days' . Eucla to Kalgoorlie in Western Australia 900 km on a CB750. First time I'd seen a cop with a radar gun out the car window, didn't know what it was and thought he was gunna shoot me in the middle of nowhere, as we got closer we both slowed down a lot and as we passed both looked at each other and just kept going. My girlfriend at the time was waiting for me so there was some impetus to keep riding. I'd like to do it again but take it in much smaller bites. These days an hour 'n a half to two will do.

18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That all depends on the weather. Temps above 40 and below 95 and I can ride all day, only stopping for gas and lunch. How many miles that is depends on where I'm riding. In Kansas that would be from Dodge City to Topeka (6 1/2 hours on state highways). Where I am now that's only about 50 miles, unless I use the freeway to head straight out into the countryside.

The key is a good seat and a backside that's been well worn in.

ksigurdsen likes this.