1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How to Fork Cyliner Bolt Removal Tool

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Calvert, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Calvert

Calvert New Member

Many threads on this topic using a hex bolt or inverted spark plug socket "of the appropriate size". But had to do some sleuthing to figure out what this size actually is and the simplest way to make something.
    The elusive measurement is 3/4". You could as the manual suggests take a hex head bolt, slide it through a socket with a nut attached, thus having a hex head on both sides.
    The inverted 5/8" spark plug socket is ideal having the the 3/4" hex at the bottom of the shank, but many do not allow the square drive to pass through the socket in the opposite direction.
    Solution:
    1. Find a sacrificial 5/8" spark plug socket.
    2. Whip out your trusty dremel, or cut off tool of choice.
    3. Cut just the hex portion off the bottom of the 5/8" spark plug socket.
    4. Sand the cut edge to remove any jagged edges.
    5. Voila! You now have a 3/4" hex head with a 3/8" square drive. Attach to as many 3/8" extenders necessary to reach the damper rod.

You now have a custom tool for the next job if you don't lose it. Hope this helps some people out.

Now to the hardest part.... Actually removing the old seals. Chime in if you've got a hack for that procedure.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

nice tool could use it with a very long extension. I use a little heat on the bottom bolt to soften the thread lock that is used.

I purchased the fork tool from Chacal works great

this is the set up used by Yamaha. Looks like a tire iron. also applying a little heat will soften the seal and remember to remove the spring clip before starting

upload_2019-4-21_11-12-1.png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Calvert likes this.
  3. Calvert

Calvert New Member

I figured heat and some good leverage were in order for the task. Patience and persistence will get me through this build.

4. Calvert

Calvert New Member

Thanks for that pic by the way. My tire iron was perfect. Heat, cushion, pry. Less than 5 minutes on a crusty old seal. Happy day.

Attached Files:

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Interesting. Most of us just flip the socket around instead of cutting it, but not all sparkplug sockets let you flip them.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I cut an old car coil spring compressor l had which fitted my forks to slacken the damper. Never throw anything away it may be needed later that is what l do anyway.

k-moe likes this.
  7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That last bit of advice is why my upcoming move is going to be expensive. Transport bills by the square foot of cargo.

Franz likes this.
  8. Brian Harris

Brian Harris Member

I know this is an older topic but I found a super easy solution in case anyone runs into this in the future. I happened to have some 1/2 inch threaded rod and the appropriate sized nuts ( which are likely 3/4 inch ). I found that just using two nuts cinched together tightly on each end of a piece about a foot long worked perfectly and I was able to get some really seized up damper rod Allen head screws to come out with ease. I had an old bench vise and held an 8mm Allen key in it, placed the fork on top of the Allen key and used the Tool I made to spin to the damper rod bolt loose.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that works or a sparkplug socket inverted on an extension.
    I bolt the fork down via fender mounting holes to plywood a little heat because of the yamaha threadlock that is used and out it comes