1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Idle mixture is rich

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by protomillenium, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. protomillenium

    protomillenium Member

    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    New Buffalo, Michigan
    Hi Folks,
    I got my '82-750 Seca running good, the bike is a screamer, but I still have some carb work to do.
    When I start it up, I can not add the slightest bit of choke, or the cylinders flood, and the plugs foul up.
    Any idea what my be going on?
     
  2. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Any more details? Is it Idling fine or fast? Could just be your idle mixture is way too rich.

    Recent changes? Did this happen suddenly?
     
  3. protomillenium

    protomillenium Member

    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    New Buffalo, Michigan
    Engine seems to be running well, no soot on plugs, and plenty of power. Just that using choke is unnecessary, and if used will flood engine.
    The carbs were overhauled by the previous owner, a competent amateur mechanic. I have to ask him if he raised the needles.
     
  4. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Interesting. I'm surprised your not sooting the plugs if you don't need choke to start it this time of year. Let us know hat you find
     
  5. trekrider

    trekrider Member

    Messages:
    166
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    lancaster PA
    Yes please find out, I have a 650 maxim, same exact symptoms, I hardly need any chocke to start the bike, plugs are black in my case.
    Just a little bit of choke and it dies.
     
  6. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    If your carbs have not been modified (jets changed etc) I would be looking at tuning.

    1) make sure your valves gaps are all in spec and adjust if required.
    2) Warm engine and do a plug chop. Adjust and repeat as required to get rid of the soot and get close to the right brown coloring
    3) Vacuum Sync the engine
    4) repeat the plug chops and fine tuning

    May have to do a few cycles of sync and tune. Of course this also assumes your carbs are squeaky clean and there are no air leaks. Wasting your time tuning if that is not so.
     
  7. MN-Maxims

    MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    114
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Saint Paul, MN
    I had the same problem with one of my 750's The PO drilled the orfices in the float bowls out. Had to use the spare bowls I had from my spare carbs. Any choke at all and she would blow black smoke out and foul the plugs.
     
  8. protomillenium

    protomillenium Member

    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    New Buffalo, Michigan
    I talked to the former owner, he did a carb disassembly, dip and cleanup, floats set to stock, then set the mixture screws 2 1/2 turns out. Nothing else.
    Could be some guy before him changed the jets, but who knows.
    Too stormy here to do plug chops for now.
     

Share This Page