1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Indicator Woes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Pete Felstead, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Pete Felstead

Pete Felstead New Member

Hi, so my right hand indicators front and rear have stopped working and also the dash light isn't flashing. I have checked the rear bulb and it is fine.
    On the left hand side everything workes fine including the dash light. The hazard switch is just activating the left hand side.
    I am thinking it's got to be wiring or the relay. Can anyone please help me with what multimeter tests I can carry out to track down the fault?
    One more bit of info the fault happend the day after I had used bungees to strap the top box shut which makes me think I have pulled on the wiring but I have taken the seat and side panels off and can't see anything. My bike is a xj900 diversion.
    Thank you in anticipation!
    Pete.

2. Pete Felstead

Pete Felstead New Member

indicator switch resized.jpg So here are the latest developments.

As you can see from the pics I have proceeded the hunt.

As far as the switch is concerned with ignition on and switched to l/h I have 12v to brown wire measuring from centre pole of switch which I am assuming is ground.

When switched to r/h I have 0v to green wire measuring from centre pole of switch.

With ignition off I have continuity between brown and green and centre pole when switched to the relevant side.

This would seem to suggest to me that the switch is ok but that there is no power getting to the green wire.

Does this assumption sound correct and if so do I just need to look at all of the r/h side indicator wiring.

Could it be a blown turn signal warning light ?

Many thanks!

Pete

3. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

none of those 3 wires are ground,
    the brown /white wire is the main 12v feed into the switch from the flasher relay
    the brown wire (which is actually chocolate) -- "yes i know"--- is the feed to the l/h signals
    the dark green is the feed to the r/h signals.
    so , you need either a multimeter or a 12 test lamp.
    put the negative side of the multimeter (or test lamp) to a good earth
    put the positive probe onto the brown/white connection, this should register 12v, - just to test the meter or lamp
    then put the positive probe onto the dark green wire, with the switch set to r/h, you should get 12v again, if not the switch is at fault
    if you get 12v at the dark green, follow the dark green wire through to the signals, to find the break

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

i really dislike yamahas solder joints

jayrodoh likes this.